Chimera > iWeb

Should Chimera turn into 'iWeb' or anything like that?

• Yes, make it so!

• I don't know. Apple doesn't really _need_ its own browser

• No way! Take the worst option to base Apple's own browser on? Argh!

Results are only viewable after voting.

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Okay, now that the head of the chimera project has turned all 'Apple', I guess we have to think again about a browser made by Apple.

And although Chimera is not quite 'there' yet, the application looks promising enough to call it a candidate at this stage (0.4).

But what (if at all) needs to be done, so Apple could release this software as a product of its iApplications? The quality, look and feel of the iApps is much higher than Chimera's right now. My list goes as follows:

- Interface changes (only, please don't give it the slate look of iTunes)
- Speed (application, not browsing)

With all these new iApps, I think an Apple browser would just hurt Apple and make them look even more like Microsoft. Ugh.
Show us some hardware, Apple! Stop acting microsoftish! Let us choose which applications to use ourselves!

Look, web browsing on the Mac is a sub par experience to browsing under Windows. Apple knows this. Most of the problem lies with Microsoft's IE for OS X. It's slow and it's buggy. When IE 5 for Mac was released in 2000, it was better than the Windows version 5.5. IE 5.2 for OS X however is not a strong a product. And Microsoft has been slow to move on it. IE 5.2 has been out for OS X for almost 18 months, and we still don't have a major upgrade to address speed, stability, or even bugs that have been present since March 2001 (ie the incomplete rendering of pages that suddenly appear when you scroll down).

The fact is that Microsoft has little incentive now to devote time/resources to IE for OS X. The 5 year MS/Apple agreement is over, and Microsoft doesn't really need Apple's endorsement of IE to say it conquered the web wars.

Apple really needs to bring the browsing app in house, or at least assign someone to work on one of the open source projects (David Hyatt?). With all the care Apple has taken with every other app (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie), it is leaving the most important app out.

Apple doesn't need IE anymore. We have a health crop of browsers on OS X - more variety than our Windows counterparts. But we need the ONE solution that can do it all, and do it with speed, stability and complete support of standards - and the one browser that seems to be on track to accomplish this is Navigator.

Originally posted by azosx
I hope they call it iBrowse and make it brushed steel like iTunes! :)

You're a hater of all that I love...I like Chimera navigator the way it is, damn it...

Usually when Apple gets a hold of something they improve upon it and give it that special touch...I hope they turn Chimera into the top of the line browser that Mac users deserve. :)

Did you say EyeBrows? ;) :p

but yes, I was excited when I read that Hyatt had been successfully courted by Apple. Bring on the Apple-branded browser (and make sure it uses tabs)!

The other consideration is, did Apple bring him on board just to improve Sherlock's Internet capabilities?

Chimera is now my favorite browser as well.

I think that at the very least when you compare it with IE [at chimeras current .4 release no less], I would certainly like to see it installed by default.

Originally posted by homer
Did you say EyeBrows? ;) :p

but yes, I was excited when I read that Hyatt had been successfully courted by Apple. Bring on the Apple-branded browser (and make sure it uses tabs)!

The other consideration is, did Apple bring him on board just to improve Sherlock's Internet capabilities?

Yesh, EyeBrows!

Also, Sherlock 3 looks pretty sweet. I was watching Apple's MWNY opening keynote last night and was very impressed. It seemed like a web browser itself but extremely refined and optimized.

Everything new coming out in Jaguar is going to be the Bee's Knees. The only thing that could make it better is if any browser other than IE debuted on the Dock.

Originally posted by themacko
iNav is pretty good.

I'd like to see iSurf with a little surfboard icon. That would be tight.

Hahahahahaha. I can see that now. Ohh, that would be so funny. :)

does it have to be an iApp? think of mail.app and some others. wouldn't a generic "browser" or even stick with chimera's "Navigator" be better than "iNav" or "iBrowse"? those two sound kind of stupid to me...

Originally posted by xaqintosh
does it have to be an iApp? think of mail.app and some others. wouldn't a generic "browser" or even stick with chimera's "Navigator" be better than "iNav" or "iBrowse"? those two sound kind of stupid to me...

Exactly. Personally, I love Chimera visually. I love the icon and I love the button styles. Add to its functionality, but leave it's aesthetics alone. :)

This would make a heck of a lot of sense, seeing as how Apple has repeatedly been giving M$ the shaft lately...the comment about .NET at the Keynote, going with Netscape for its default home page, iChat being AIM and not MSN, and I am sure there is more. I really think Apple is going to take the stance of "Hey! Sick of supporting Microsoft? Scared of what they might do with your personal data as they gain more and more control over your computer? Join us and free yourself from the Evil Empire!"
What do you think?

Originally posted by sheepguy42
This would make a heck of a lot of sense, seeing as how Apple has repeatedly been giving M$ the shaft lately...the comment about .NET at the Keynote, going with Netscape for its default home page, iChat being AIM and not MSN, and I am sure there is more. I really think Apple is going to take the stance of "Hey! Sick of supporting Microsoft? Scared of what they might do with your personal data as they gain more and more control over your computer? Join us and free yourself from the Evil Empire!"
What do you think?

Just too bad that Apple is becoming another "evil empire" in that way.

Originally posted by ksv

Just too bad that Apple is becoming another "evil empire" in that way.
Not necessarily- It could be more like the average users who need a simple, intuitive interface would want to go Mac, and everyone else would choose between Mac, Linux, BSD, etc. People who build their own machines from scratch will stop building them for Windows, but still build them. These people will still be seen as "on Apple's side" because they are abandoning Microsoft, and their OS choices will still all be able to interact with Macs out there. Nothing "evil empire" about that, unless I'm missing something. The reason M$ is an Evil Empire is because not only does it have most users, but it does not play well with other companies. Apple does, and even if they had most users, I believe they still would.

Back