Choppy DV playback on intel macs?

spazz

Registered
Hi all,

Reeeeally hoping you can help me with an odd one. I have a Panasonic NV-GS150 Mini-DV handycam, a 1.83GHz Intel iMac, and a G4 1.5GHz Powerbook.

Here's the problem.

Handycam + Powerbook + firewire cable = smooth import from camera to Mac, beautiful quality though iMovie/QT/anything

Handycam + Intel iMac + firewire cable = awfully choppy video and audio playback through both iMovie and QT. Unwatchable.

I'm using the same cable, I'm using OSX 10.4.6 on both Macs, I've repaired permissions, tried searching google, changed various preferences in iMovie, but I'm still so stuck.

Please help me :(

Thanks in advance,

Red.

Intel Macs Have Video Problems, Mac Enthusiast Site Says

By Antone Gonsalves, TechWeb News
6:44 PM EST Tue. Feb. 07, 2006
Some of Apple Computer Inc.'s latest iMacs based on an Intel processor have problems in displaying video, a Mac enthusiast site says.

In playing video on Apple's Front Row media browser, some iMacs showed random horizontal lines, ghosting, video tearing and other problems, ConsumerMachine reported.

Apple was not immediately available for comment.

"The issue is best described as faint and intermittent ‘patches’ of whatever graphics are on the screen appearing in random locations (tearing)," the site said. "Aside from the Front Row menu system, these problems also persist when viewing movies or DVDs through the Front Row interface."

The problems did not appear when playing video through Apple's Quicktime Player, but users reported that the display troubles occurred when "alt-tabbing between apps or during certain tasks in iMovie."

"Numerous user software reinstalls have established that the problem is likely not software related, placing the blame on the ATI Radeon X1600 video card," the site said.

No :/

Thing is, I'm sure it worked initially - could it be a Quicktime issue? I've reinstalled, still no joy... Using QT Pro 7.1

Man this sucks :(

Since it is an Intel Mac, take it back and have Apple fix the problem as soon as possible. This should not be happening!

Spazz,
Have you ruled out something loading the CPU's? Rosetta or whatever?

Use Spotlight to get to Activity Monitor (or go to /Applications/Utilities).

Doug

Back