Clamshell iBooks: Are they out there?

clamshellibooks

Registered
My daughter needs a laptop for school reports, internet, etc. However, she doesn't need anything advanced, so we aren't willing to pay 2 grand for a brand new laptop. We saw the old Clamshell iBooks and she's had her heart set on one ever since. However, we do realize that Apple does not make them anymore and that they're limited. But what we'd like to know is just how limted they are. I mean where are some great places to go to find them? We'ver already tried the following:
smalldog.com, powermax.com, dealamax.com, and even ebay (which surprisingly didn't have much, but I could check later)
We'd really appreciate it a lot if anyone could help.
-Thank You!

Here are two:

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10006

And yes, they're kinda hard to come by. I would highly recommend getting something newer, since a clamshell is pretty darn slow, has a dismally small screen resolution and is not very upgradeable. The hard drive is barely large enough to install OS X, much less keep documents and school assignments on.

For $749, you can get a refurbished iBook G4 800MHz from the Apple Special Deals section, which will last a lot longer than a clamshell. In my opinion, I would only seek a clamshell if I were a collector.

I'm sure others may have differing opinions.

Here is a list provided by Low End Mac of vendors selling new/used/refurbished Macs.

You could go for the earlier generation of white iBooks (sometimes referred to as iceBooks) which can be found for way under a grand. But if you have your heart set on an iBook of the clamshell variety, I would recommend getting the last generation of the clamshells which had Firewire and a faster L2 cache. The SE model of the Firewire clamshell iBook also had a DVD-ROM which it's predecessor didn't have.

More information on the Firewire iBook and the SE version of the Firewire iBook.

Back