Classic in Tiger

- The retail (shrinkwrapped) version of Mac OS X (10.2 and up) doesn't come with Classic.
- Classic is part of the computer, though. It's a package on the Software Installation/Restore CDs/DVD.
- Therefore you can simply install Classic by opening the package file. Just have to locate it on the optical medium."

so I just use my original installation CD from way back when I brought the computer & perform a custom install?

(i really am dumb with this sort of thing & so scared of messing it all up & having to clean install the whole system with Tiger again).

If you're talking about the 'original' OS 9 CD, then no - the installer won't run in OS X - 'cos the installer needs OS 9 - and you haven't got that loaded yet ;-).
You should be able to boot from the OS 9 CD and clean install a System (assuming that the drives have OS 9 drivers installed when you loaded OS X). The recommended path (from Apple), is a separate partition on your hard disk (this may not be possible now - depends what you've done), and make a disk image of the 'Classic' environment - this you keep on CD/DVD and load to OS X at will. This, may be gobbledegook - post back if you need further advice.
I hasten to add, that be cautious and think carefully about what buttons you're pushing and when... personally, if I was in your shoes either: backup Tiger in it's entirity and complete the preparation for the composite install, before going down this route - or find out if this prog that you need is available in OS X (it'll use considerably less time) alternatively, have you got another Mac running Classic? Or someone who does?

fryke said:
Just to sum things up for everyone... :)
- The retail (shrinkwrapped) version of Mac OS X (10.2 and up) doesn't come with Classic.
- Classic is part of the computer, though. It's a package on the Software Installation/Restore CDs/DVD.

Classic is an application environment* and IS included
with retail versions of 10.2 and up - it requires a working OS 9 system folder to work.

*TrueBlueEnvironment

If you have another OS X machine with a OS 9 Systemfolder on it, you can just copy it over the network to the new Mac. You may have to move the System file out and back in to to "bless" the folder. Quit Classic before copying.

If you have another Mac that boots into OS 9 you can't copy the system folder via the network (because it's active), but you can press T to boot into FireWire target mode and copy the system folder this way via FireWire.

Lt Major Burns said:
to be fair, i don't think he did it maliciously, tiger doesn't ship with classic, and not many people now actually have a system 9 disc anywhere near.... so, in truth, apple have stopped supporting it - the feature is still there, but you've got to instigate it now. i just hapened to still have my panther boot cloned on my ipod, so i just copied the classic system folder across.

purchased from Apple store two weeks a go a new MacMini that came with a Tiger install DVD, OSX 10.3.7 install CD and a Classic OS9 CD

Classic is still supported, but wouldn't be upgraded anymore. Like a few years back I wanted OS8.6, apple had the OS8.6 but didn't distrubite OS8.5 anymore so I had to chase up a copy. But while OSX still has the Classic support in there, guess that means they are not completely giving up on it...

Probably the easiest way:
If you have a MacOS9.1 CD or MacOS 9.2 CD available, just drag and drop the System Folder to your HardDrive. Go to System Preferences -> Classic
Select the copied MacOS 9
This should do it for basic Apps. If not, just get the MacOS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 Update. Install them and your Classic should be fine.

So, I have a similiar issue with its own quirk. I have installed 10.4.1 on a G4 1.2Ghz 1GB ram mac. It is split into 2 partitions. Both are formatted with extended journaled. I have 1 app that requires classic that is mission critical. I have a 9.2.2 install CD. When I boot from the 9.2.2 CD everything works as needed EXCEPT both drives DO NOT MOUNT. Therefore, I can not install classic since the drives didn't mount. How do I get BOTH classic and Tiger to co-exsist.

The App in question is scanning software for a Fiery Printer/scanner. The printer side works fine but the scanner side needs classic. No there is no upgrade that I am aware of to OS X so I do need classic.

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you. Long Live Apple!!!

Steve

Probably the easiest way:
If you have a MacOS9.1 CD or MacOS 9.2 CD available, just drag and drop the System Folder to your HardDrive. Go to System Preferences -> Classic
Select the copied MacOS 9
This should do it for basic Apps. If not, just get the MacOS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 Update. Install them and your Classic should be fine.

SO basically the installers that I had when I brought the mac (I think it's 9.2) I insert them into the disk drive, don't install anything but just drag the "system folder" onto the hardrvie?

I'm sorry if I sound dumb - I'm new to it all really, makes it difficult to keep up to date.

And i'm worried about it messing up Tiger that I already have installed on here..

My new powerbook came with two system restore DVDs, and the second had a folder marked OS9 support that contained a very nicely implemented Classic environment, including a settings icon in the System Preferences menu and a menu bar icon to start or stop it. Runs a little slow at times, but if you shut everything else off it works fine.

I'm gonna take a stab and say that when the HD was formatted HFS+, OS 9 drivers weren't installed.
Since a partition cannot just have drivers by it self (they must aplly to the whole drive) and you cannot just 'add' them. You'll have to erase the drive in Disk Utility (keep the same partitions) and make sure the relevant box is ticked!
THIS WILL ERASE YOUR PARTITIONS! BACK UP YOUR DATA!!! :eek:

ATB

Back