classic in tiger?

liverpool89

Registered
is there classic in the power pc version of tiger. it doesnt appear on the system preferences but when a spotlight search in done it says it is in system preferences

Classic doesn't come with the retail vrsions of Panther or Tiger.

It must be added from the "restore" disc(s) that came with your
machine.

If you bought the retail version of Tiger, it doesn't come with the necessary OS 9 installation for Classic to work. You would have to buy the retail version of Mac OS 9.2.2 (Actually, any version of 9 should work but it would have to be updated to 9.2.2, but I believe any versions of OS 9 that you purchase retail will be 9.2.2).

All PPC Macs should have an OS 9 installer in one of the gray CDs that come with them. It's usually called "Classic Support Installation" or something like that. But of course, that's with whatever version of OS X is on that disc that shipped with the computer, not the retail versions os OS X.

'is there classic in the power pc version of tiger' - no PPC / Intel 'Tiger' install disc will contain a 'System 9.2.2' installer.

'Actually, any version of 9 should work but ...' - 'Panther' and 'Tiger' require 'System 9.2.2'.

barhar said:
'Actually, any version of 9 should work but ...' - 'Panther' and 'Tiger' require 'System 9.2.2'.

You left out the part after the "but" where I mentioned that you can upgrade it to 9.2.2. But, as I mentioned, almost all of the retail OS 9 discs available are already at 9.2.2. :D Classic has always required 9.2.2 but you can upgrade it to that if need be (at least on older Macs that could boot into OS 9).

'Classic has always required 9.2.2' - no, 'Cheetah' (MacOS X 10.0.x), 'Puma' (MacOS X 10.1.x) and 'Jaguar' (MacOS X 10.2.x) only required 'System 9.1'. However, 'System 9.2.2' did have a number of enhancements and fixes - to warrant its installation.

Some helpful charts: (1) and (2).

In fact, from your internal 10.4 help files:(from the item 'Installing a Mac OS 9 System Folder to use with the Classic environment')
'The Classic environment requires at least Mac OS 9.1, but it's a good idea to use Mac OS 9.2 or later. '

So, Apple says Mac OS 9.1 is required for Classic (even with Tiger), and the later 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 is recommended.

I prefer 9.1, as the Finder file seems a little more stable with Classic (running on top of 10.4.5), at least in my experience.

I think early OS X versions (back to Public Beta) even ran Classic with 9.0 or 8.6.1... But that doesn't really matter, I guess.

Back