Classic " Resource Update Error"

birds_whales

Registered
I formatted my iMac 400 HD and installed 9.2.1 and 10.2.3 on the one and only partition. I tried to boot Classic several ways, but always get the same error message as Classic just starts to load:

"Resource Update Error

An error was encountered while attempting to update your sysytem folder with Classic-specific resources."

I tried to restart and use the Option key to boot into OS 9, but I never get an OS 9 option for booting, just 10.2.3.

I did a Clean Install of 9.2.1, updated it to 9.2.2, and both the "previous" and current system folders are there, but still no luck, and no option to 'dual boot.'

Any idea how to remedy this?

Attachments

• classic error.jpg
    classic error.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 10
Are you still having trouble?

Open the hard drive and check to make sure you have only two system folders. OS 9 and OS X. Trash all the previous system folders after check for any third party files that you need.
Open the System Preferences in OS X (light switch) and then click on the Classic icon. Click on the advanced tab, then click on rebuild desktop.

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for responding..I'd given up hope that anyone had any ideas or suggestions.

I do still have two OS 9 system folders on my one HD, in addition to OSX, so I will trash the other here in a second.

I already did the Rebuild Desktop option from the Classic system Preferences, but no change.

I am able to boot into OS 9 by using the Startp Disk option, but I cannot get Classic to boot, either directly or by launching a Clasic app. Always the same error message.

I will trash OS 9.1, and look for any third party stuff (there is little, if any). If it does the trick I will let you know here, but if not, you can assume that I still cannot get Classic to launch.

Mark

I deleted OS 9.1, leaving only OS 9.2 for Classic use, and then I set the Extensions to 'Mac OS 9 Base All', rebooted, tried a few OS 9 apps, and then as all was working fine, rebooted into OS X, but nothing has changes there...no Classic , same error message.

Mark

Check the System 9 folder for these files:
Classic
Classic Support
Classic Support UI
If you have them, drag them to the trash.

Now give it a try.
If it still has problems, boot in os 9, go to the Apple Menu>Control panels> Software update. Click on the check now. See what comes up. You should check the software update in os X also.

Cheryl,

There were those three Classic files at the root level of the System Folder..I moved them out, launched Classic (no reboot first), but no change in error message.

I will boot into 9 later tonight and try the Software Update suggestion...

Based on 9's normal performance when I boot into into natively, I am wondering if the error message is about something lacking in OS X which prevents use of 9 ("An error was encountered while attempting to update your sysytem folder with Classic-specific resources.").

Mark
:(

In the System Folder of X>Library you should have a Classic folder. Mine is empty, but I use classic every day to run an elist. (waiting for the app to go native X).

There is always the option to "zap" PRAM (by holding down apple+option+P+R just after starting the computer). I dunno if this will do anything usefull, but it couldn't hurt (at worst some settings, such as date, highlighting, mouse scroll speed will be reset to default).

Originally posted by Cheryl
In the System Folder of X>Library you should have a Classic folder. Mine is empty, but I use classic every day to run an elist. (waiting for the app to go native X).

I have the same in my X Sys folder.

I have encountered a similar problem when I first started using os x.2. I found that you need to have carbonLib 1.6 in the classic system folder insde the extensions folder.

Here is a list of the current updates for os 9.2.2

Applescript 1.8.3
Authoring Support 1.1.9
CarbonLib 1.6
MRJ 2.2.6 (Recent)
Quicktime 6.0.2

Another thing that you may wish to try is to completely delete the OS 9 system and associated parts.

If you have got an OS 9 Install CD, I have found from experience that istalling from the OS 9 CD works better for me without so many problems.

The above updates are supposedly for OS 9.2 and above except for MRJ 2.2.6 which is for OS 9.2.2 only.

Ahhh...I had assumed that since I just recently got the OS 9 disk with Jaguar that it would have current versions of these extensions...I just checked 3 or 4 of the ones you listed and they are all earlier versions..nnowwo I am going to work on updating these and keep my fingers crossed.

thanks,

Mark ;)

Originally posted by rob1au
I have encountered a similar problem when I first started using os x.2. I found that you need to have carbonLib 1.6 in the classic system folder insde the extensions folder.

Here is a list of the current updates for os 9.2.2

Applescript 1.8.3
Authoring Support 1.1.9
CarbonLib 1.6
MRJ 2.2.6 (Recent)
Quicktime 6.0.2

Another thing that you may wish to try is to completely delete the OS 9 system and associated parts.

If you have got an OS 9 Install CD, I have found from experience that istalling from the OS 9 CD works better for me without so many problems.

The above updates are supposedly for OS 9.2 and above except for MRJ 2.2.6 which is for OS 9.2.2 only.

OK, I installed CarbonLib 1.6, Applescript 1.8.3, Authoring Support (1.1.9). I have MRJ 2.2.5 and QT 5.0.2 present. I rebooted into OS X, but still get the exact same message at the same point in loading Classic (about 3-5 seconds in).

More ideas?

I did see the same problem mentioned on other Mac models in Macintouch (for 10.2.3 and 10.2.5), and in a few other forum places, but never any replies, solutions, etc. Frustrating...

Mark

What version of OS X ar you using at the preset time.

You could try repairing the permissions through disk utility this fix most problems .

It now sound like there might be some sort of permissions problems between OS X and the OS 9 system.

Firtsly do a verify of the permissions as this will tell you if there is a permissions error or wrong permission in this area.

Then simply repair the permissions and I normally find that if I re-boot it seems to work better but this is my own choice.

Let us know how you go.

I think I did the repair permissions once before, but I will do it again. I am, however, unable to boot my Disk Utility in my Utility folder. I get an 'unexpected error (1000)' message. The Get Info box on DU indicates it's version 10.2. I have been looking for a version on the Apple site to download, but I have not yet found the location (only a Server version that seems to be very small).

I think I had to use one of my installation disks the last time I ran the repair permissions option.

If you have got the OS X.2 or OS X.1 boot disc/s you also could try disk first aid tab and verify the disk (HD) which is on the right hand side first this will tell you if there is any problems with the HD and should be able to repair them.

Then try repairing the permissions after the first aid.

The disk utility app has been updated with the incremental updates that have came out eg. X.2.1,2.2,2.3 etc.

About the error code I am not sure but will try and find out what it means and also try and get a list of all the new erroe codes.

Let us know how you go.

I did boot using the Jaguar install disk, then used Utility option to run First Aid, and Repair Permissions. Both found several problems and both reported all fixed.

I rebooted my internal HD version of 10.2.3, but I again got the same eror message a few seconds after trying to start Classic.

I have screen captures of the error message and the Terminal window from a few seconds after I tried to launch Classic, if they are of any use/interest. If you are reading the entire thread, I have done all suggested measures thus far offered, but no change of any type in problem.

Though I continue to have no success, I do appreciate all ideas that have been offered.

Mark

Back