Classic startup help

corimay

PeanutButter
I'm running G4 tower w/ OS 10.2.3 & OS 9.2.2. I'm trying to startup Classic, but during startup I get this error:

The volume for "restart_vs" cannot be found. Insert the volume for "restart_vs" and wait for it to appear on desktop, then try again.

This is my first time starting up classic, so I have no idea what happened. I got my G4 refurbished from apple. Could they have missed something in the installation?

Thanks

Open your system preferences, click on Classic, and click on the System Folder that shows up in that pane under 'select a system folder for classic" Assuming you can boot into OS 9, there should be a System Folder listed there. Select that one, should work! Try to click on Start, and Classic should rise from the depths of your system!

Is it possible use Classic applications with only OS 10.2.3 installed (on G3 450MHz iMac DV)? I tried to do it but at the end I've installed OS 9.2 on second disk partition to resolve the problem. Are there any solutions about?

No, you must have 9.2 or later installed because the Classic environment emulates 9.2. It's like Virtual PC: you may have the program, but you have to have a copy of Windows installed to be able to run Windows. Without a valid 9.2 system folder, you can't run Classic because you couldn't boot into 9 anyway.

Back