Classic

liverpool89

Registered
I have just managed to get hold of a copy of os 9.04. I have been trying to install it on my 1ghz g4 powerbook running osx 10.46 . I cannot get the disc to boot at startup. I have tried holding the "c" key selecting to boot from the disc in system preferences and choosing the disc at start up by pressing the "opt" key but it will not boot. I came to the conclusion that it will not install because it is not a version 9.1 or up, but after a search on the internet i have found people that have it working correctly.

Does anyone know what else i could try to install it? Or are their any 3rd party apps i could use?

If you have a titanium G4, then that shipped with OS 9.2.2
You might be able to boot with OS 9.1, but that is likely the earliest.

If your PowerBook is an aluminum 1 GHz, then you can't boot to OS 9 at all.

Many OS 9 CDs are updaters, and not installers. Check on the label for that designation.

Find a copy of OS 9.1

We have been through this about a million times before. You cannot install a version of MacOS that is older than the version that shipped with your computer. Your computer shipped with MacOS 9.2.2 and MacOS X 10.2.1. You cannot do what you are trying to do. Why would you want to?

Mr. Me has it right. You need the original install discs for that
PB. The "restore" discs will have Classic, and you can install
from there.

Out of curiousity, it is possible to run the Mac OS 9 installation from an OS 9.2.2 disc (retail version) if you have the Classic environment pane detect the System folder in the isntallation disc? Then once installed switch the system folder to the one on the hard drive?

I haven't attempted this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Back