Clone old drive to new drive

melvin

Registered
Just bought a new 250Gb to go into my emac, I have the system with all user files on the original 40Gb that comes with the emacs, is there a way I can clone the 40Gb and transfer it to the the new 250GB.

Guess if there is a way it will save me heaps of time, than having to reinstall the OS on the new drive and transfering all the data across.

thanks in advance

assuming you're using os x.

first install the new hard drive.

take a system install cd either an os cd or one of the computer restore cds and start up from it (insert it and reboot holding down the c key).

it will act like you're trying to install the operating system but you want to look in one of the menu's and choose Disk Utility. This will launch Disk Utility. Click the restore tab next to First Aid and Erase. Drag your old 40 GB volume into the source field and your new 250 GB volume into the destination. This does a perfect clone that is even bootable.

You will need an external FireWire case to install the old hard drive. (won't transfer much if it's not attached to anything. :) )

note: if the hatch on the bottom of the eMac is silver (an older eMac) then you may find that a 250 GB internal hard drive will not work (Maximum is 120 GB). There is no work around for this size limit. If the hatch on the bottom is white, you should be good, unless your eMac can boot with OS 9. A logic board that prevents OS 9 booting, also allows the large hard drives.

Is this confusing, or what?

Back