Cloning OSX to new drive using Prosoft Data Backup?

SatCure

Registered
I have a G4 tower with 1GB memory, OS10.4.8 and 3 Hard Drives. One is a 120GB with two partitions. OSX is on one and it's GETTING FULL.

I've used Prosoft "Drive Genius" to juggle the partition sizes but I'm still left with only a few GB of free space for OSX and no room to install more applications. The other two drives are used for camcorder files and music files and I don't want to touch them. I also have an external 500GB Firewire HD purely for backups.

I don't believe in pushing my luck anyway. I think a life of 3 years is good for a HD so I've ordered a 300GB to replace this one. So the drive line-up is:

Firewire external
Music internal
Boot drive internal partitioned for OSX and for WORK files
Sonnet Tempo PCI IDE Expansion Card - ATA 133 -> Camcorder internal
Sonnet Tempo PCI IDE Expansion Card - ATA 133 -> New 300GB internal

I can connect the new drive to the IDE expansion card so there's no problem having all four drives connected at once.

My question is: how should I transfer the old OSX files to the new 300GB drive so that it becomes the boot drive and leaves me with no hassle of having to change permissions, user name etc.? Is it feasible to clone it?

I have Prosoft "Data Backup" disc and I think that might do the job but has anyone experience of doing this?

Thanks for reading this.

Martin

If you get Carbon Copy Cloner remember to first open the program's Preferences. In the Preferences make sure to put a check mark in 'Make bootable'.

Thanks for the replies. The Hard Drive arrived this morning (amazingly fast from DABS) so I installed it, partitioned it into two and launched Prosoft "Data Backup" (since my son already bought it for me as a Xmas present). There was an option for "clone" so I selected that and it copied the entire OSX drive onto the new one. When it had finished I set that as the boot drive, restarted and everything seems to be working fine - except I have a LOT more free space! :)

Back