cmd+click....hmmm....old style?

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
i remember way back when on a imac where i can use use the mouse and hold down on something and pop comes a menu (cmd+click now), is that s till possible for mac os x tiger? if not how can i do this? thanks.

fall out
 

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
I think you mean Control-click, not Command. Control-clicking still brings up a menu just like it did in OS 8/9.
 

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
yeah but, i got a wireless mouse as a gift and i was wondering if there's anyway of getting the menu of poping out w/o clicking ctrl, or if there's a hack or some sort of way of getting around it.

Also i notice that the mouse slows down or it shakes or something when i move slowly (not as fast as i want it) but it does goes fast if i move the mouse quickly, but is there anyways to steady the mouse?

thanks.
 

jh2112

Registered
As already suggested, click and hold will bring up the context menu.
the 'shaking' may be due to the surface you use the mouse on.
Just fiddle about with the preferences (system preferences/keyboard&mouse) till you find settings that work for you.
 
Yeah, even if it's wireless it should still show a menu on hold. Just hold the left mouse button down in the middle of your desktop and see what happens. As suggested above; the shaking is probably from the surface it is being used on. I know if i do not use my mouse on it's mousepad and use it on the wood; it will jump across the screen at times for no reason.
 

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
riccbhard said:
Yeah, even if it's wireless it should still show a menu on hold. Just hold the left mouse button down in the middle of your desktop and see what happens.
Nothing happens. :confused: At least not for me. I was under the impression that the click-and-hold style only worked in a few specific places, like the Dock and....really, I can't think of anywhere else besides some browsers (and not Safari). It doesn't work on files and folders or empty space in the Finder. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? (A quick Spotlight search in System Preferences turned up nothing.) If so, the Dock really ought to respect it.
 
Mikuro said:
Nothing happens. :confused: At least not for me. I was under the impression that the click-and-hold style only worked in a few specific places, like the Dock and....really, I can't think of anywhere else besides some browsers (and not Safari). It doesn't work on files and folders or empty space in the Finder. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? (A quick Spotlight search in System Preferences turned up nothing.) If so, the Dock really ought to respect it.
Hmm.. Maybe it dosent work. I couldv'e swore it did :confused:
 

DeltaMac

Tech
2 main ways to get the contextual menu. Control-click; and right-click with a multi-button mouse.
 

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
riccbhard said:
Hmm.. Maybe it dosent work. I couldv'e swore it did :confused:
nope, it doesnt. not on tiger anyways.

also the mouse does shake or slow down incredibly when i move it slowly. yes, even with a mouse pad it still does that (i have the offical apple wireless bluetooth mouse)

x_x so thats why i was wondering there was a hack or something that can clear up the mouse from shaking or something or opening up a menu.

thanks.
 
Top