CNN shows another G5 encolure!

Originally posted by lonny
In the new case you have to remove the fans to add memory! This is just too messy, altough probably needed.
This is true, but at the same time look how easy it is to pull those fans out. No screws, no cables, just slip them into the slot. Based on the cooling requirements of the machine I think the solutions they came up with a very elegant. And I'm looking forward to getting a look at one since Jonathan Ive made a comment about being able to run them with the side off since there is an extra clear piece that holds everything in place.

Since someone in some other forum mentioned them I went and looked at the web sites for Alienware and Falcon Northwest. To my eye Falcon Northwest is nothing at all interesting to look at (since we're only talking about case design here). Really just beige/grey boxes with decals on them. Alienware, on the other hand, looks like something out of Batman. Now I can see it appealing to me when I was in highschool and thought swoopy curves mysterious glows were cool, but I couldn't see myself going for it now and I certainly couldn't see something like that in a professional situation.

Now the G5 to me looks like a very professional machine. The design is enormously simple and very sleek. Really, it looks more like a server (such as the Xserve) than it does like your typical desktop PC and I think this is entirely to its advantage.

If you think about the design process that they must go through, you can see how they came to that end. It is very exciting to see a product this well thought out. It reminds me of a piece of heavy construction equipment. The asthetic comes from the utility of it. In other words, as little uneeded molded plastic (none, HAH) as possible. No big circular Dell-style logos. No transparent cd holder built in to the front. It makes the current G4s look absolutely gaudy. And think of the mods this one will bring around. It's like a blank slate.

... or photo by "AP" simply. a bad habit not being more specific about it... even the guy that i left because he asked if cupertino was a soccer coach was a(n italian) journalist with those initialias.

Are you suggesting your ex might be trying to bring down Apple in revenge for taking you away from him? :p ;) :D

new G5 to me is beyond beautiful. in a world of ridiculous logo branding, they found a way to make it beautiful, make it apple and make it functional as well

Back