Color change with screensaver

caribooyj

... somewhere in B.C. ...
I am having this strange "color change" happening after the screen saver has been activated. I move the mouse to close the screen saver and the grayish color scheme (graphite) has changed to a light blue. I then have to go into the control panel and click on display to get the graphite back. No problem until the next time screen saver becomes active. I took a screen shot with "Grab" but noticed on opening the pic. it's the correct (graphite) color - it was light blue when I saved the picture.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• color change.jpg
    color change.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 17
What are you using Application Enhancer for? I don't see any Unsanity haxies in your System Preferences.

BTW, I take it you are a switcher?

Yes, I'm a switcher...

I use application enhancer for "Clear Dock" and LCC scroll enhancer...
I've checked settings in System Preferences>Color>Display Profile and noticed the color my screen is switching to is: Generic RGB Profile. Should I just delete that profile?
thx

Uhm, so you mean to say that your Display Profile settings are changing back and forth? Because "Graphite" and "Blue" are Appearance settings, those differences would show up in the screen shot, which actually does look like Graphite to me. Can't fathom why your Display Profiles should be changing though. I would create a new folder and label it "Display Profiles(Disabled) and put the offending RGB there temporarily, until you can figure out what is causing the instability.

BTW, what Screen Saver are you using? Do all of them cause the same problem?

Do all of them cause the same problem?

Good question, I should try that. I'm using a slide show... folder in iPhoto.

And yes, it is changing, but not really back and forth, as I have to manually go into the control panel and click on display to get it back to normal. But that's all. I don't even go into the settings and change it back, just clicking on display (in System Preferences) will bring the colors back. Its not "Blue" as in the appearance settings. The photo I've attached doesn't show the color, but it was showing when I took it with "Grab". Very strange, but I will try your suggestions and move the RGB temporarily. thanks again.

I'm thinking this is a known bug.
What model Mac do you have?

I've seen this with my Core Duo MacBook Pro at work. I have a second display attached, and sometimes after waking the screen saver, I get a loss of quality. Seems like it looses some saturation, and contrast.
In my case it makes drop shadows (under the menu bar, around windows...) look washed out, and everything is a little more pale over all.

Since I have another display attached, I just reach up and disconnect the second display. The system resets the built in display, it's fine, I plug the second display back in, the system resets the built in display and it's still fine.

On average, I'd guess it happens about once a day.

More annoying than a problem. It might be covered in Apple's discussion forums.

I think that caribooyj is having a slightly different problem from the one discussed in that forum, Flying Meat, because he can get the display profile back. Though I do think the underlying problem might be related.

"And yes, it is changing, but not really back and forth, as I have to manually go into the control panel and click on display to get it back to normal. But that's all. I don't even go into the settings and change it back, just clicking on display (in System Preferences) will bring the colors back. Its not "Blue" as in the appearance settings. The photo I've attached doesn't show the color, but it was showing when I took it with 'Grab'. "

I see. Well of course you can't capture the behavior of your monitor with Grab; the Color Profile is like Brightness/Contrast in that respect.

Anyway, FWIW, while I haven't a clue as to what exactly is causing your Mac to lose its settings, but I been having similar and perhaps related problems on my machine. I use a bunch of Unsanity's haxies, mostly to little ill effect on my system. However, Xounds tends to quit out on me seemingly at random. Just installed a new keyboard with its own volume controls, and find that those quit out at the same time as Xounds. I can get Xounds back to life by disabling it and fiddling around with its preference pane before re-enabling, but I can't get my keyboard's volume controls back to life without a reboot.

Next time I do reboot though, think I'll try temporarily disabling APE first.

Hope you get your Display Profiles to behave!

I also have a second display attached, interesting...
looked at the link above, but that's not quite what's going on, andychrist might be correct suggesting its related to my problem. I should check, if the color change happens without the 2nd monitor attached. Like I've mentioned before its easy to get the color back. System Preferences>Display, just a click and its back to normal. However, still annoying ....

"I get a loss of quality. Seems like it looses some saturation, and contrast."
Exactly... the first couple times, because it is so subtle, I had to look twice to make sure I'm not just overworked and tired.

Thanks again for your help, this forum is great and already taught me lots over the past few months.

One and a half years from your post, I realize, but I'm wondering if you ever solved the problem. I'm having the exact same issue. A different color profile when I wake the display from low power. External display connected. Anything? Thanks for your help.

Back