Colour iPod (merged thread)

Well I would love a video iPod, otherwise I'll probably be buying this when it comes out.
Movies, Music, Games, Bluetooth and WiFi, sounds great to me. And the screen is supposed to have great quality.

e3-2004-psp-hands-on-20040512003026793.jpg

the iPod mini is the future of 'very small' music devices. However, the iPod is MUCH more than just a 'bigger' iPod mini. Its space transforms it into a usable external firewire/USB2 HD. Home on iPod sounds like an interesting feature (that'll probably come up with Tiger) - and that'll be a no-go on an iPod with less than 30G. At least for me... ;-)

I'm sceptical of this one. I suspect the more likely updates to the iPod are built-in voice recording and FM-Radio capabilities, just to make sure it keeps up with the cheap and nasty competitors out there (which offer terrible build-qaulity, capacity and interface, but win customers thanks to these two simple features).

A color screen is a bad feature for the iPod, unless of course Apple is planning on adding some other functionality. Still, I hope Apple is smart enough to realize that the iPod is a success because it does one thing - play music - really well. The best way to keep the iPod successful is to improve upon it in 4 areas - 1) battery life, 2) storage capacity, 3) overall size of the unit, and most importantly, 4) reduce the overall price of the iPod.

I'm not saying that Apple shouldn't continue to innnovate on the product, but any addition of a color screen or video playing capabilities will fundamentally change what the iPod is supposed to do - play music, and go against what Apple should be striving for - reducing the price so they can sell more.

i agree except with point number 2) - storage capicity is fine - ipod mini showed this - most people dont need 40Gb of stoarge some do but not every 1 - it would be better to work on the others rather than make all the ipods have more than 20Gb - I mean I have an iMac which has a total HD capacity of 20Gb so theres no way i could have a 20Gb ipod even a 15Gb is pushing it. Thats why i got a ipod mini! :>:>:>

I still wonder about the importance. I mean, do people care that much one way or another if the next iPod will have a color screen? It's bound to happen sooner or later.
But I do hope it's this time, otherwise this board will be 0-2 for major announcements in the Mac venue.

To those concerned with color diplays and battery life, there are options in the market today of displays that only need power when transitioning from one image to another (albeit with limited number of colors and the image must be dimmed for maximum power saving - the fix is to sleep the backlight after some - adjustable - time)

Haha, I wonder where they're going to get those 50 GB drives from. I don't think the article writer drank enough coffee before making up that crap :p

Personally I would love to see the ability for Quicktime movies. I do lots of video editing and I wisk to show other ppl on my iPod. You know like those small sony DV tape/LCD machine things they use in the movies.

Also I wish them to improve the ability to transfer data. What I mean is when exporting large files he iPod freezes.

I now the Quicktime thing will not happen.

Oh and I wish the battery to be removable so I can charge one will using another. Swappable

::love::

Personally I would love to see the ability for Quicktime movies. I do lots of video editing and I wisk to show other ppl on my iPod. You know like those small sony DV tape/LCD machine things they use in the movies.
You can do this right now with smartphones. I have a Nokia 6600 and show my home videos on it. Just convert it using QT Pro. You can also do it for many pdas. I've used Kinoma Producer for the Tungsten T.

:confused: if you think that the colour screen is a bad idea and are having doubts... i think your a bunch of idiots.

Dont you think that if they upgrade and ipod, that they OBVIOUSLY would upgrade battery power... and dont YOU think, that if they make it colour screen... it will OBVIOULSY have more resoloution. Look at the newest Nokia fones, they play Music Video's.

NOw... wiff an ipod being based around music, dont u think that the colour screen would REALLY be used for Music Videos, n juss not veiwing photos.

I think it would be a great make. n they got me sold.

Aztec said:
:confused: if you think that the colour screen is a bad idea and are having doubts... i think your a bunch of idiots.

Please realize that you're insulting yourself more than anyone else by making such comments.

I've got a little feeling that you're the reincarnation of "azrad", who was banned at least twice a while back. Welcome back to the list of, hmm, unpopular members. :p

A 16 color screen that is active matrix would be fine for me. Just make the new screen active matrix and I'll be happy. Or if they put eink into the baby that would really sharpen up those pixels.

All I can say is, remember the Newton?! He he. Apple is either backing into the PDA realm with the iPod or converting it to a mini-computer at the hub of the Airport Express revolution.

Good scoop, site founder. :)

Back