Colour iPod (merged thread)

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first.

Other rumors speculate about an upcoming iPod to support video and other features. Although these appear to just be rumors at this time, our sources where not privy to that information nor are we.

macosx.com staff

That's awesome. Nice find.

You don't happen to know if this new colour screen iPod will be released at the upcoming WWDC do you?

Mat said:
That's awesome. Nice find.

You don't happen to know if this new colour screen iPod will be released at the upcoming WWDC do you?

We don't know that information.

A color screen would be pointless unless the ipod started to support more pda like functions. Mayb

kendall said:
A color screen would be pointless unless the ipod started to support more pda like functions. Mayb

Unless you could show digital images on it... (ie. iPhoto)

I don't think it will be a good idea, I'm sure it will hammer the battery life, as it did with all the pda market when they went to color screens.

gimp said:
I don't think it will be a good idea, I'm sure it will hammer the battery life, as it did with all the pda market when they went to color screens.

I have my doubts to. It could be happening, but the credibility of source is really where the answer lies here.

I would be happier if the next generation iPod had a much longer battery life, the ability to manually change dead batteries. Plus a built in radio receiver, that would make me upgrade from my iPod..

Not that i am complaining.... a killer unit, we all agree..

This is just a rumour. We could've all heard Steve Jobs say that the iPod will NEVER have a video option because that's not what the iPod was designed for. There is no real demand for a color screen he also said in an interview because the resolution is too low for photo's and just a color screen for album covers is ludicrous. Sorry guys, all just rumours!
:(

I agree that current model does not need color unless new image/video features were added. For my money, First priority would be FM receiver and voice recording (like the iRock mp3 player). Second: longer battery life. Third is display more song inf on screen (it's already on the HD in the song database...). Only distant fourth is color.

Very cool, hope this rumor is correct. Apple usually never falls for the standard pitfalls. If they come out with this, it won't hammer the battery. A company like Apple would release a color iPod only if they were also able to release it with a LONGER battery life to astound customers. Then there would be some other problem with it none of us expected hahah.

I have a color screen on my cell phone that displays pictures but once the gimmick of showing pictures on it wears off it seems a bit lame. I think that would be a stupid upgrade.

A monotone color display with a red, blue or green tint display depending on the music mood being played (like my wife's cell phone) would be novel and inexpensive but color would price this model out of the buyers market.

What would make me true jump all over this product at the higher price would be a WiFi iPod! ...or a WiPod! The ability to listen to local music or suck in music from local WiFi networks would make this the KILLER APP.

Screw the color screen. Its a ridiculous gimmick that panders to the gadget needy nature of a select few. WiFi is where its at and if Apple is smart they will be jumping on the WiFi music scene and build it into the whole Airport hub system.

Home Pod

lovemacs_1787_7298716.jpg

The iPod is missing some functions that others are adapting but a color screen doesn't seem like a winning priority guys. ::ha::

PimPamPet said:
This is just a rumour. We could've all heard Steve Jobs say that the iPod will NEVER have a video option because that's not what the iPod was designed for. There is no real demand for a color screen he also said in an interview because the resolution is too low for photo's and just a color screen for album covers is ludicrous. Sorry guys, all just rumours!
:(

Sorry, there is some demand for video, but the big demand is, as said above, for storing the photo, either from iPhoto or directly from any digital camera.

Next level will be QuickTime player (with divx compatibility added 2 years later..), but this shall come only when mini 160 GB disks are available...

Adding a colour screen to an iPod does seem a little like "fitting wheels to a tomato. Time consuming and pointless." There would seem to be very little need for it unless the new device's hardware warranted it, e.g. a built in digital camera or if it were to be changed to a PDA. Surely the iPod is a music player. What possible need is there for a music player with a colour screen? To display album covers? Come on, that would take frippery to a whole new level. Apple doesn't really do frippery, every design feature is carefully thought through and exercised. Unless they've got with of Jonathon Ives I doubt they'd suddenly bolt those wheels on that aforementioned tomato. Besides who wants to see photos or video at that size? I agree with those who think there are other issues that need resolving before a colour screen. That old chestnut battery life being one of them. If they are intent on releasing a colour screen version then I can only hope that they offer you the choice in some way. Maybe keep the mini monochrome.

Back