comparing mac and pc-hardware

alexandr

kosmonaut
is there any good guide for comparing mac and pc-hardware? thinking about buying new 17" iMac, but 2000 euros seems an awful lot of money when you know you can get the best, newest pc on the market for half the price..

what should i compare? processor, ram, and how?? any good guides on the net??

alex.

I think you should consider the user experience. My iBook 500mhz runs fast enough to handle my daily activities.
However, it is far superior to my WinXP laptop running at 2ghz. I prefer my iBook, as the user experience is much more satisfactory, and less irritating than windows. There is no hardware comparison because you can't compare the two. It's like trying to compare apples to almonds.
Macs don't have the short life span as PCs. I usually upgrade my PC every 6-9 months. However, my iBook has been in continual use for almost 3 years, and still gets the work done that it needs to.

I agree to Diablo! And I don't think the 17inch iMac is that much more expensive than other pcs. Compare the hardware and you will be surprised. Btw, the iMac goes into the direction of those shuttle mini atx systems... ;)

Really depends on your first choice: Want a Mac or cope with Linux or Windows. If you get a Mac, max out the RAM and you've got yourself a nice computer that'll last a while.

You might also want to consider buying a refurbished or used G4 tower machine and a separate TFT display, as you can later replace the tower and keep the screen, which you cannot do with the iMac. (That's why I don't quite see the appeal of a 20" iMac... All-in-ones seem okay up to a certain size, but the iMac isn't really upgradable processor-wise...)

Zammy-Sam said:
I agree to Diablo! And I don't think the 17inch iMac is that much more expensive than other pcs. Compare the hardware and you will be surprised. Btw, the iMac goes into the direction of those shuttle mini atx systems... ;)

Yes, try spec'ing out a PC with a high-quality 17" LCD wide-screen monitor, a DVD burner and the rest of the specs of the iMac and I think you'll find that Macintoshs, contrary to popular belief, are priced right on par with comparable PCs. The only difference is that Apple doesn't offer the stripped-down, cheap component, headless boxes that a lot of PC manufacturers offer, and therefore, people get the idea that Macintosh computers cost more than PCs, which is bunk. They cost the same as a similarly configured PC. Plain and simple.

I have been doing a lot of research myself, I need to buy a new laptop, and in my experience, when you compare equally configured Apples to PC's the cost is essentially the same.

In searching for a new laptop, if I didn't need Windows for work it would be an Apple PowerBook hands-down, and this is from a guy who was a dedicated PC-guy until last year. Actually, I'm still hoping I can get an Apple and use VPC...I have a question about VPC posted on this board if anyone reading this cares to offer insight go to http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42131

For laptops, Apples can't be beat on price/performance. Especially the 12' models. I was looking for a laptop about a year ago, and settled on the Powerbook 12' because there just wasn't any PC offering that could match it in terms of features and price.

For the desktop, the impression I get is that they aren't so competitive. The G5s look good, but anything lower than that just doesn't seem like its worth the money.

But hey, which PC runs Panther?

Keep this in mind: "You get what you pay for". I've owned two Macintoshes: a PowerBook 520c with a 68LC040 (still works! roughly equivalent to an Intel 80486) and a Blue & White PowerMac G3 at 500MHz (5 years old). The 500MHz PowerMac is still fast enough to do what I need a computer to do.

Understand this: Macs and PCs have very different architectures, you can NOT compare processor frequencies (MHz/GHz) between Mac and PC. The PowerPC processor inside Macintoshes process more instructions per clock cycle than an Intel Pentium processor can per clock cycle. My 500MHz PowerPC G3 is roughly equivalent to a 1GHz Pentium 3. The G3 can perform 3 instructions per clock cycle, the Pentium can only do 1 instruction per clock cycle. This is why Intel is constantly trying to ramp up the core frequencies on their processors, but the problem is that when you increase the processor frequency, you increase electricity requirements and heat, and you need more cooling fans to keep things running. Go over to http://www.arstechnica.com/, click on "CPU Theory & Praxis" and read about processor designs, you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, Macs tend to keep their hard drives defragmented AUTOMATICALLY! Click http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/, then click on "Mac OS X Filesystems" (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html), you'll see this here:

Optimizations
HFS+ also has a few specific optimizations. When a file is opened on an HFS+ volume, the following conditions are tested:

* The file is less than 20 MB in size
* The file is not already busy
* The file is not read only
* The file is fragmented (the eighth extent descriptor in its extend record has a non-zero block count)
* The system uptime is at least 3 minutes

If all the above are satisfied, the file is relocated (de-fragmented) - on-the-fly.

Another optimization is "Hot File Clustering". This is a multi-staged (the stages being DISABLED, IDLE, BUSY, RECORDING, EVALUATION, EVICTION and ADOPTION) clustering scheme that records "hot" files (except journal files, and ideally quota files) on a volume, and moves "hot" files to the "hot" space on the disk (0.5% of the total filesystem size located at the end of the default metadata zone - at the start of the volume).

Also consider that Apple's Finder is multi-threaded. This means that you can launch several different applications SIMULTANEOUSLY on a Mac. At work, my Windows 2000 (Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.8GHz) crawls when I ATTEMPT to open several different applications (Mozilla, M$ Outlook Express, Exceed X Windows environment, Word, Excel) simultaneously - it just can't do it very well. When I select several PDF documents, only the first one makes into Adobe Reader, the others are not loaded, don't know why, ditto for M$ Word and Excel when opening their respective multiple documents. Do you really want FULL COMPATIBILITY with the Windows world? That includes virii, worms, spyware, and trojan horses. You can't install software on a Mac without manually installing it (administrative password required), on a Windows computer, just visit an obnoxious website, it will install malicious spyware on your computer without you knowing about it. My parents have two PCs, they've spent several hundred dollars buying antivirus software, Norton Firewall, etc... just to keep their systems safe. I've spent nothing for my security, Mac OS X comes with a built-in firewall and the ability to set it up in the System Preferences (you're not going to be able to do this with Windows). Apple's Mail program makes it impossible to run malicious code from an email attachment.

For a personal computer, go with Apple, you'll be happier in the long term, and Apple computers have higher resale value if you should decide to sell it later. Apple's systems really are quite advanced, but it NEVER advertises these features. Apple needs to put their computers in perspective to current PCs (shortcomings/problems).

Summing it up: Get a Macintosh.

And just as an answer to chemistry_geek's last paragraph: Badmouthing others doesn't really make yourself better, I always say - and thus I don't think Apple should hit too hard on the Windows shortcomings in ads and such. (Also: As soon as Apple would tout "no virus for Mac OS X" in an ad, I'm sure someone would write one, at least as a technical demo.) ;-)

A short nod to the accurate and sage advice offered... and when you compare the Apple to the almond, make sure you look at a brand name Almond. There are lots of options out there and you can find a cheaper pc, option for option (maybe) but do you really want a no-name pc, or an eMachine?

*hmm, ignore the above since there are no Almonds on a quality par :D

I prefer quality as well. I been a mac owner for years. Yes, simply because I dislike Windows, and my Mac's are well built. I purchased a G4 733 when it was one the hottest machines. I have upgraded the memory, and processor card. Here is my deal with most PC's. First, check out the keyboards, most are flimsy and not comfortable to type on. Take the keyboard in your hands (Sony, Dell) you could snap them apart in your hands. Moreover, price a IBM or Dell and you spending about the same or more. You get more mileage out of a Apple product. In the long run, you are saving money. I took my G3 tower into the office an use it there. Still performs well and gets the job done.
I agree with the comment about the all-in-ones, be cautious, upgrading other than the memory is a problem.

chemistry_geek said:
My 500MHz PowerPC G3 is roughly equivalent to a 1GHz Pentium 3. The G3 can perform 3 instructions per clock cycle, the Pentium can only do 1 instruction per clock cycle.

Bold claim. To my knowledge, there is nothing to back-up such a claim.

thanks for all the advise. guess i'll go for the mac.. anyone knows if apple offers the possibility to have another language than the native one in the country where the machine is bought... meaning, i live in france, but is from norway and i would like to have it all in norwegian. is there such an option or do i have ot get the machine in norway??

thanks for answering!

.alex

Viro said:
Bold claim. To my knowledge, there is nothing to back-up such a claim.

My mistake, I meant to say Pentium 2. When Apple introduced the Blue & White Power Mac G3 at 400MHz, it claimed that the Power Mac was more than twice as fast as an Intel Pentium 2 at 450MHz, via an Adobe Photoshop bake-off.

alexandr said:
thanks for all the advise. guess i'll go for the mac.. anyone knows if apple offers the possibility to have another language than the native one in the country where the machine is bought... meaning, i live in france, but is from norway and i would like to have it all in norwegian. is there such an option or do i have ot get the machine in norway??

thanks for answering!

.alex
to asnwer you, yes in system preferences there is a tab that says international and allows you to change from a huge variety of keyboard settings, in fact you can store them in the menubar at the top of the screen so if you use more than one they are easy to get to, if you see some people's desktops with a flag that is what it is

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 7
alexandr said:
thanks for all the advise. guess i'll go for the mac..
You do that! Also remember that the system architecture is totally different in apple computers to those of pc's, someone will probably contradict me here, but the PC systems are based on the x86 system which uses CISC which stands for complex instruction set computer to the layman this basically means that the file size for a program will be smaller but will execute with less efficieny because it gets less processes completed per clock cycle, however this is somewhat covered up by the very high clock rates on todays CISC proccessors.
Then apple computers are based on the PowerPC proccessor which is RISC based which stands for reduced instruction set computer. This means that the functions of the CPU don't have to perform lots of differnet tasks because the instruction set it smaller, this means that more processes can happen per clock cycle therefore that is why some clock speeds (the G5 excluded which are damn fast anyway) would appear lower or slower than PC's

Back