Compatible Video Cameras Question

nreyes

Registered
I am hoping to buy a mini-DV Camera soon, but note that most come bundled with a USB 2.0 cable.

Since I will primarily be working on my Powerbook (USB 1.0 and firewire ports only), should I be looking for a specific camera (that has a firewire cable) or is it not really an issue?

I would go for a firewire mini DV. I am not sure if those USB2.0 ones will be supported by apple and if not, this can be costly or very problematic if sometimes not even impossible. Sony DV cams are really fine.

As bobw said, if your main concern is compatibility with your Macintosh, buy one that is specifically listed on Apple's compatible camera page. It would be suicide not to -- a simple search here will reveal many threads about "Why doesn't my XXX work with iPhoto/iMovie?" to which we soon find that XXX isn't listed on the compatible camera page.

There are a few cameras that will work that aren't listed there, but unless you're willing to be a guinea pig and risk having the camera not be compatible, it would be best to stick to the list.

Thanks for the advice.

However, how regularly is this 'compatible devices' list updated?

Or, specifically, where can I find out if the following are compatible:

SONY HC-1000
PANASONIC NVGS-400

These are my preferred 'possible purchase' options.
I have checked the manufacturer's websites, but they are largely unhelpful in that they state "USB, Mac & PC", which is highly dubious....

Does anybody have these cameras, and can confirm they work?

Thanks

Like I said, I would only buy one that has Firewire. Chances are most Firewire cams will work.

Okay. Thanks everyone.

I went to a local store (here in France) and I checked out the options/features. The guy in the shop seemed surprised to hear me insist on the firewire interface, but eventually he found the DV out on the Panasonic model I was interested in (NVGS400 - well, that's the european model number - I think it is the PVGS400 in the States). After a quick inspection, it does seem to be, effectively, a Firewire (IE1394) mini connector which I should be able to plug into my MAC.

However, assuming this is correct, and it is the interface I will choose for downloading the films to my Mac & Editing software, can anyone suggest what the USB 2.0 is for? Is this for transferring photos or am I basically looking at a feature aimed at Windows users...?

The USB may work for video, but may just be for those without a Firewire port on their machine.

I bought my daughter a Canon video camera, think it was a Z65. Didn't check to see it it had Firewire because she wasn't interested in using on a computer. After looking around at the camera for awhile, I found a Firewire port hidden under the lense. Tried it on my Mac and was no problem.

Back