Complete startup disk backup Mac Pro with Sierra

rickself

Registered
I have been using a 500 gig drive as a startup drive for Sierra and a MacPro 2012 5,1 and want to make a COMPLETE backup to migrate to a 1tb drive. Eventually I will upgrade to High Sierra - the highest I can go - I think - on this computer. I have run out of space, showing 319gb used and 2.7gb available.The numbers don't add up so there's a lot of invisible stuff going on just to run the system. Carbon Copy Cloner, Time Machine, and Super Duper only want to clone 34gb of the 319gb. What am I doing wrong? Should I maybe make a disk image file of the startup drive and then reinstall to the 1tb drive that way?
Thank for any direction.

Where are you backing up to? May I suggest a new external drive to use for the backup.

I have been using a 500 gig drive as a startup drive for Sierra and a MacPro 2012 5,1 and want to make a COMPLETE backup to migrate to a 1tb drive. Eventually I will upgrade to High Sierra - the highest I can go - I think - on this computer. I have run out of space, showing 319gb used and 2.7gb available.The numbers don't add up so there's a lot of invisible stuff going on just to run the system. Carbon Copy Cloner, Time Machine, and Super Duper only want to clone 34gb of the 319gb. What am I doing wrong? Should I maybe make a disk image file of the startup drive and then reinstall to the 1tb drive that way?
Thank for any direction.
Hey Cheryl - I've been trying to back up to a 500gb external with USB connection. Reformatted each attempt.

Then it should be able to do a full backup....unless there is something more on your running boot drive that is not showing up. Have you done a clean up of really old stuff? Is it possible to backup your old photos, music, documents on a separate drive, then try the full backup?

Then it should be able to do a full backup....unless there is something more on your running boot drive that is not showing up. Have you done a clean up of really old stuff? Is it possible to backup your old photos, music, documents on a separate drive, then try the full backup?
I've moved EVERYTHING off of the drive other than some apps. I'm in packaging so have Adobe apps but have moved the apps themselves to another internal drive. I even rebooted to another drive, this with High Sierra and ran the backup from there. Same thing. I know I could just reinstall Adobe but don't want to go that far if I can just create the backup.

I am stumped. Let's hope some one here has a suggestion. :(
Wondering…if I do make a disk image of the startup (while booted from another drive to get everything), when I want to burn that image back, will it erase the drive i'm writing back to. Make sense?

What you want is dump Time Mac Machine all together and look at my favorite Direct Access drives with shareware Carbon Copy Cloner that you boot to that external (if you choose too bless this fiction)!

Back