Completely silent pc, how will Apple react?

Interesting - Not very practical for most uses.
There's only support for up to 4 GB of IDE flash storage.
If an actual IDE bus, then you should be able to connect a standard IDE drive, and then would not be quite silent...
As for fanless - Apple has had those in the past. I use a fanless iMac every day for the last 6 years. The drives make faint access noises from time to time, but that's it.
I think you will see more activity for computers that use flash storage for operation, but that's still a little expensive to get anything useful, yet.

I don't think Apple would worry to much about those machines, coming from a brand that is not a house hold name, like Sony doesn't worry about a brand called japsmadethis or something.
Competition continues... and the bigger companys always win

£424.18 for a 1GHz machine, with 1GB RAM and a 2GB "hard drive". I suppose if I had money to burn, why not? Otherwise, I doubt there is a market for such a thing. There's a market for quiet PCs, and there are many about. As for completely silent PCs, I would buy one just for the novelty of it :)

From time to time, Apple has sold computers which were fanless and quiet. The original Macintosh 128 was such a machine. The most recent silent computer was called iMac. As for using a flash drive rather than a hard drive for mass storage, well it is short-lived, expensive, and not particularly fast.

there are whole companies in the pc world that only make silent cooling systems for computers, and have been for a while. so there have been silent pcs for quite some time, and it hasn't effect apple yet.

As far as I'm concerned, my laptop is silent. Sure, it has fans, but you don't hear them. Such a PC, at least at that price point, seems unreasonable. The notion of using flash as main storage is interesting though. Perhaps it would be useful to have applications in a fast-response flash system, and store media on traditional disks..

I quite like the ambient hum of my G5 in the background :D. It's pretty close to silent even with that; total gimmick if you ask me.

Back