Complicated wifi networking?

Matsaki

Registered
I am just to move to a new house. Unfortunately there is no telephone line and will not be for another 4-5 weeks.

A neighbor that has internet are kind enough to let me connect to he's wifi during this time. But there are some problems that I'm not sure how or if they can be solved.

1. I need and have a USB Adapter 6DBI Antenna that enables me to pick up the neighbors signal.
2. But still the booster with antenna needs to be at a exact point in the house.
3. I have an old Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.5.8 that I was thinking to use with the USB antenna.

So what I'm trying to find out how (and if) I could then connect my Linksys router to the PB so I could use my Macbook Pro and other stuff from the router? I know I should be able to configure the PB as a router, but then with few ports and not as good signal as my router.

(Sorry that I can not explain my self shorter)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is that as easy as it sounds? Just turn on the network sharing and plug in the ethernet cable? Or is there some more configuration needed?

Yes. Once you have the PB on the network you just connect everything else by ethernet cable, with sharing on.

It's what I do at home to connect my work PC to my home network. My office has provided me with a laptop with wi-fi disabled (they say it's a security measure...). I would normally plug it into my router by the workstation at home, but when that's not convenient, I plug it into my MacBook and use the MacBook's wifi connection. Get's around the "security restriction" :)

Does your neighbor have a router with an external antennas? It will be easy if it does have an external because you will just need a router repeater (that has external antennas), an empty Pringles can and tin foil in a shape of a parabolic dish. You just have to make sure the parabolic shape has no wrinkles in the shape.

How close is the neighbor's antenna?

No he don't and I don't wont to buy one as this is just a temporarily solution until I get my ow line.

I have managed now to get connected via my USB Adapter 6DBI Antenna booster with a good signal. What I did not managed to do yet is to use my shared network on my computer to connect my Linksys router via Ethernet. This so I can use the internet full out in the new house, and not only with my one computer.

I connect my Linksys from the computer to one of the four ports in the Linksys, and set internet sharing prefs. to >> 802.11 n WLAN (thats the USB Adapter 6DBI Antenna) to Ethernet.

But the router will not pick up any IP address and et connected. Maybe there is something to do with the ISP and some restrictions they have?

Your looking at the double NAT situation. Maybe if you receive with the Linksys but don't do NAT in it so so neighbor's router will be the only thing doing NAT. So set you wireless router not to do DHCP and do some kind of pass-through.

No the router should have DHCP enabled. And I tried with an old D-Link router, and that one connected to the Mac's internet Sharing and picked up an IP address. Sadly that D-Link have some other problems and can't be used.

Today I bought a cheap TP Link router, but that router don't connect / pick up any IP address either like the Linksys.

Really strange stuff.

Back