Computer acting wierd

yachay

Registered
Hello to everyone. As of last week, my iMac was working perfectly. But the day before yesterday, Safari started acting wierd which resulted in my entire computer going slow, as if it were stuttering. iTunes would stop and start and the finder was unavailble. After about ten minutes of trying to Force Quit Safari (and barely accomplishing this), everthing went back to normal. This happened again the next time I opened the app. I erased the preference file for safari but nothing. Now, even my boot up is taking longer. Even the dong at the start is a few seconds off. By the way, safari went nuts went I tried to save a password in the Keychain.

I am running 10.3.5 with 800MHz and 512 MB. Any suggestions would make my life soooo much better because I am using a friends computer to type this.

Thanks again

How much free space on your hard drive do you have? You should have at least 10% - 15% free for swap and temporary files used by the system.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
How much free space on your hard drive do you have? You should have at least 10% - 15% free for swap and temporary files used by the system.

Yeah, I have plenty, something like 50GB because I use an external hard drive for the large files. Doubt that could be the problem...

Well, an external hard drive doesn't really count -- how much free space do you have left on your boot drive? It's good to keep at least a few gigs free on the OS X drive that you boot from.

Also, you may want to try starting from the OS X install CD and repairing the disk, or running DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro if you have it, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the disk.

I often find safari is great, but it can rewally poop out on my comp on occassion. Especially if Im browsing pages with lots of javascript, or someones personal photyopage with waaay too many thumbails. It messes up the entire system.

I also get what's being described, moreso back in Jaguar than now. But I do find Safari to be extremely sluggish on some websites.

I don't remember what I did to fix it though...

If you have autofill on, it's going to bog down and eat ram. Turn off autofill, or at least go in and trim it down to the very latest stuff. Also, empty cache, or better yet, deactivate it.
I've found that locking the list that allows for internet icons to be save also helps quite a bit.

Back