computer not letting me login

Alsobro1

Registered
i am unable to login it to my computer using my password and name. it takes me to a blue screen with a grey box that says name and password, not the normal screen where you select the name and then put the password in. i restarted after an issue with itunes and this problem has occured, thanks for any help.

i am having the same problem with my powerbook- it's not letting me in with my usual username and password. did you fix your problem, and if so, how?

You can boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and perform a "Reset Admin Password" from one of the menus in the menubar.

A similar problem has occurred several times with my MacPro. I'm the only user and have never had to login at startup...however, several times since getting my MacPro last year, and for no apparent reason, when I try to do an operation requiring administration password, my user name and password is not accepted.

Using the installation DVD to try to reset the password does not work. the only way to get back on track is to reinstall the operating system, or to copy my backup back to the HD with SuperDuper.

I too am waiting for a solution to this problem which seems to be unique to Leopard on an Intel machine.

Matt

hi Matt-
many thanks for your reply- sounds like we have exactly the same problem...
i've copied all my files across to another mac by linking it up with the firewire drive- what do i do next?

Ani, is there a normal user + password login screen, or is there a lock next to it?

If you don't have a bootable copy of your system before it messed up which you can boot from and use to replace your defunct system, then I'd suggest booting from your installation DVD and reinstalling OSX. (Insert DVD and restart while holding the "C' key, or select the DVD to start up from using System Preferences). When you get to the window to select a volume to install to, click the Options button and choose to Archive and Install.

This type of problem is the reason I make a bootable backup of my Hard Drive regularly to another HD.

Good luck,
Matt

Back