Computer won't boot

stang35

Registered
I purchased my computer in 2003, I am really not sure of the name, it has I believe the first edition of OSX and it is white with a flat screen and revolving monitor if that helps....? When i go to start up, it will go to the white screen with apple logo and the revolving spinner, it will stay there for some time and then just go to a white screen that will stay there until i cut it off....my cd tray does not open so I cant put any kind of boot cd in it and when i hold down shift and control it just says you need to restart your computer, is there any other button combos or anything I could do...it has been like this for a month....thanks in advance

Please disregard Stinz12's reply -- it's not typical of the kind of help you'll usually get here.

It sounds like you've got an older, G4 iMac that was dubbed "the lampshade". Is this your computer?:

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac17b.html

It sounds like your installation of OS X has become corrupted, or something is preventing it from booting all the way. First thing to try would be to boot from your OS X Install CD or DVD, then select "Disk Utility" from one of the menus at the top when you're prompted to select a language.

From Disk Utility, highlight your hard drive on the left, then click "Repair Disk." If it reports that errors were found, repeat the procedure until no more error messages show up... if you get a persistant error message that won't go away, post it here and we'll try to decipher it for you.

To boot from CD when the iMac won't startup from the hard disk, restart the computer and hold down the mouse button when you hear the startup sound.. The CD tray will open. You can then place the OS X install CD, and boot up from there.

hth

Back