Concerns About Upgrading From Mac Pro (5,1) to New MacBook Pro for Video Editing

Henry Krinkle

Registered
I'm upgrading from my beloved Mac Pro 5,1 (with Metal video card and 40GB RAM) I've had since 2010 to a new MacBook Pro (because Apple doesn't support installing anything beyond OS 10.14 Mojave on it).

I can't afford a new Mac Pro right now—so that leaves me with the option of a new MacBook Pro 16" with the following specs (upgrades bolded):
  • 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
  • 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (+$800 extra)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory (+$100 extra)
  • 1TB SSD storage
I do a fair amount of content creation (video, music, graphics) and haven't paid attention to the latest technological advancements in the newer Apple offerings, so I'm wondering about the following:
  1. My main concern is whether editing video with the new MacBook Pro will be a comparable experience to my old Mac Pro, or will it exceed the Mac Pro in performance? (I guess it's tough for me to imagine a laptop equaling my beefed up tower, but a decade of technological advancements has passed. Basically, I don't want to let go of my Mac Pro...:()
  2. Is it advisable to upgrade the MacBook Pro processor from it's standard 2.3GHz to 2.4GHz, or would the difference be negligible?
  3. Would it be advisable to upgrade to the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory ($700 extra) rather than the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory which doubles the standard option for $100 extra?
Thank you for your help!

Looks like the estimated release for the new 2021 MacBook Pro with the M1 processor is November. Perhaps I'll wait until then.

Reactions: AHB
yes the new book Pro, if you use the DAW Final Cut Pro, will beat the pants off any Intel machine crushing video! You can even see this in YouTube videos shootouts too!

Reactions: AHB
Back