connecting dual monitors to a G5

bigdoug

Registered
I just got another monitor for my G5 and i went to connect it to the back of my computer using a vga to digital adapter. but the 2nd port (actually it has a 1 by it) has a thicker shell around it so my adapter wont connect to it. does anyone know why this is? is it not made for a digital monitor hook up?

doug

are you sure the adaptor you have is for dvi and not adc? they look very similar, but are sized different, which may be what your problem is.

r u sure you're kidding? :p

(I don't usually post with those kinds of shortcuts, but i didn't want to break the flow. :D)

right, everyone is being silly here.

you are (basically) trying to connect two DVI monitors to a Power Mac G5. this mac can't do this out of the box. the Power Mac G5 has, usually, two display ports. One is a DVI (Digital Video Interface) port (the digital monitor standard), the other, an Apple Display Connector (ADC), which was apple's innovative connector that combined a signal, usb and firewire and power though one port and one cable, which is now dead.

one looks like this /:::::::+\ , the other looks like this :):::::::+)

the rounded one is the ADC. you are trying to connect an analogue, VGA monitor with a DVI connector, to an ADC port. you will therefore need a DVI to ADC connctor, of which i also have, which will cost you around £30.

i'm trying to connect an analog monitor. is there an analog to ADC? or do i need to do the analog to dvi to adc.....thats a mouthfull

doug

Back