Connecting Storage Device Through Ethernet

captain

Registered
I am trying to connect both a file storage device (Buffalo Linkstation) and a cable modem through an Ethernet switch (Netgear FS308). Buffalo tech support tells me to connect the Linkstation directly to the computer (which disables the cable modem), change the IP address of the computer (which I am confused about), then enter a new IP address in my browser (which I can't since the modem is disabled), then enter an IP address that will work with my network (how do I know what that will be?) and make sure that DHCP is disabled (huh). That's all I have to do, they say! The network settings preference panel scares me, there are so many settings. I need some more clear help here, which is why I am asking you.

I am a little confused on you set up. Are you saying this is off a cable modem? If so it should go Cable Modem->Router (ie D-Link, LinkSys, etc.)-> Ethernet hub. The computers, network printer, network drive storage devices plug into the Ethernet Hub.

The Router takes the One IP given to you by your ISP. Then is has another Ethernet post on it to you Ethernet Hub(s). The router dishes out multiple internet IPs to its INTERNAL Network.

If the DHCP is diables then everything must be running on STATIC IPs. Then the router must be configured to do Static Routing (not the default for 99.9% of home uses). DHCP means the router will automatically give you computer an IP).

In common understanding, anything will a Ethernet connecting has an IP when it introduced to a network. Think of your local snail mail. You live a house with an address on street, If you live in America you personally have Social Security number (a computers MAC address). Your local post office gives you the snail mail. Now think of computer IPs in the same way.

Back