Cons of iPhone and Apple TV

Did you see a demonstration of the on-screen keyboard? It seems quite clever, and uses an error-correction system that automatically turns "siunds prwtty cpol" into "sounds pretty cool" by looking at the keys surrounding where you pressed. I don't think anybody has tried it quite like that before.

Yes, I've of course seen the demonstration. Very slow typing indeed. ;) The main killer is that you don't "feel" where on the keyboard you are, so you have to look. But since your thumbs are on the keyboard, you don't really _see_ that much. ;) a "real" keyboard, be it oh so small, gives you _some_ information through the shape of its keys. Believe me: I've tried a *lot* of input methods on small devices in the past decades, and most of them are lacking. The eMate was good, but that had an almost normal sized keyboard, so that doesn't count. On a "normal" mobile phone like the Sony Ericsson W810i I'm currently using, I'm actually very fast, because T9 works very well for me. I'm also quite fast on the Nokia Communicator, which has an actual keyboard that's quite a bit bigger than a treo thumbboard.
but onscreen keyboards have _no_ tactile feedback. It simply _isn't_ the best thing there can ever be. I understand that it's been done in favour of having the whole face be the screen - doesn't change that an on-screen keyboard is less than ideal. Try to find an exclamation mark -> you've got to switch to the numeric/symbol keyboard and then back again. Ugh... *If* they have multi-touch, they should have done a Shift-key for crying out loud. ;) I'm just saying: Only because Steve said so, it doesn't have to be the best thing ever. :) I'm _also_ saying that I'll buy one the minute I can. :)

Yes, I've of course seen the demonstration. Very slow typing indeed. ;) The main killer is that you don't "feel" where on the keyboard you are, so you have to look. But since your thumbs are on the keyboard, you don't really _see_ that much. ;) a "real" keyboard, be it oh so small, gives you _some_ information through the shape of its keys. Believe me: I've tried a *lot* of input methods on small devices in the past decades, and most of them are lacking. The eMate was good, but that had an almost normal sized keyboard, so that doesn't count. On a "normal" mobile phone like the Sony Ericsson W810i I'm currently using, I'm actually very fast, because T9 works very well for me. I'm also quite fast on the Nokia Communicator, which has an actual keyboard that's quite a bit bigger than a treo thumbboard.
but onscreen keyboards have _no_ tactile feedback. It simply _isn't_ the best thing there can ever be. I understand that it's been done in favour of having the whole face be the screen - doesn't change that an on-screen keyboard is less than ideal. Try to find an exclamation mark -> you've got to switch to the numeric/symbol keyboard and then back again. Ugh... *If* they have multi-touch, they should have done a Shift-key for crying out loud. ;) I'm just saying: Only because Steve said so, it doesn't have to be the best thing ever. :) I'm _also_ saying that I'll buy one the minute I can. :)

I agree, tactile feedback is required for typing letters. Sound feedback may help but is not as good. Maybe there is some kind of tactile feedback emulator in the Apple Phone ? With simple transducers ? Like the road feedback emulator from Citroen that vibrates your seat when you approach a white line ?

How do you do the Apple sign?
Usually Shift-Apple-K will do it, but that doesn't always work in forms on webpages. I have a copy sitting in a file which I cut and past from...can't remember why it works this way or where it came from through.



By me that doesnt work, it makes that low "beep" sound like it always does when somethings wrong - but ok...

... well at least copy - paste works

Not a bad idea... they call it TV, so why not Phone ?

Why AppleTV but no Apple Phone? They're not thinking as logically as they used to (for example the 4 grid thing at the iBook introduction).

First people beg to get a new piece of technology, god forbig a mobile phone from Apple. Then, Apple gives the people what they want. And what do they do? Complain about it.

I know that I will be getting an iPhone come time, and I will be using Cingular (proudly), and I will be happy.

Tragic but true, no 3rd-party apps for iPhone:

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/01/12/0430200.shtml

Which frankly takes it right off my wish list. I have an iPod, I have a phone; I have minimal interest in merging them. A pocket Mac, on the other hand, would rock -- but one that only does stuff Jobs already thought of is no good.

Jobs' quotes there are sheer rhetoric.

"These are devices that need to work, and you can't do that if you load any software on them."
Umm...Macs work, and 90% of the software I use is third-party (probably more, really). PDAs work. Other phones with third-party apps work. If Apple can't make this work with third-party apps when it's based on OS X, then Apple's just not trying.

"Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up."
So they should restrict some of the APIs. You know, the way they do with the window manager in OS X, and any number of other things. If I had a dime for every API in OS X that Apple kept away from third-party developers.....

And I can't help but notice that the Internet doesn't magically disappear every time someone's web browser crashes...

anything starts with "i" seems outdated these days. I'd say my new mac with 24" screen :).

as for the phone,
1, only 2mp camera, what a shame...... sony, samsung ship their phones with 3.2mp cameras.
2, why only one camera..... you need a cam on the front if you are to use ichat or 3G.
3, atleast a 30gig storage would be better.

AppleTV,
1, why not make something that will play every format that your mac can play. e.g not only itunes/quicktime, but divx, wma, etc..... + mac screen to TV (i'd love to play mac games on TV).

IMHO

iPhone - from EU perspective:

1. No 3G model? Why says "we may have 3G model sometimes later"?
I don't know how is there in America but here in Europe almost all GSM operators have 3G support for a year now and people (including me and my friends) are using it for Internet surfing and for watching TV.
I won't buy iPhone if there isn't 3G model offered.
I had numerous 2.9G Smartphones with all of the sexy features, BUT missing the high-speed internet and the TV.
EDGE sucks period!

I have been using a Quad Band GSM phone since 1998 here on the East Coast of America. The Apple iPhone specs clearly says so. So what the heck are you trying to say the iPhone is not GSM?

I know that I will be getting an iPhone come time, and I will be using Cingular (proudly), and I will be happy.
Nope...you'll be using AT&T. They announced today that the Cingular brand is being dumped in favor of the AT&T brand. :rolleyes:

I hate to admit, despite being apple product fan and owning almost everything Apple made, the iPhone and the Apple TV are going to be the first two things that Apple made and which I'm not buying for sure if they don't change the restrictions on both. Period. That is it! I talked with my friends and they think the same. Period. They are happy with the iPods and say that the restrictions on the iPhone are "... just redicilous - This time Steve really overestimated the customers' satisfaction for $600 despite Apple product being usually more expensive! The nice fancy design is just NOT enough".

We'll see. The feedback on this very forum was very much alike when the iPod came out originally, and we know how that went. ;)

Back