Console Geeks! What Do These 2 Messages Mean???

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I see these 2 messages a LOT in my Console log. Any idea what they mean? (And I mean the term "Console Geeks" with utmost love and respect! :) )

loginwindow[35] in pam_sm_authenticate(): Failed to determine Kerberos principal name.

com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.SystemStarter) Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

NOTE: I went to System/Library/StarupItems and the folder DOES exist, but it's empty. I've never made any modifications to this folder. Is it supposed to be empty by default?

I just checked 3 separate computers (two different OS's 10.5.8 and 10.6.6), and in each case that folder is empty.

OK, thanks for checking, jbarley!

What about the other Console message? Any idea what that means?

EDIT: Another message I forgot to mention:

com.apple.Dock.agent[97]
DashboardClient[129:a03] needs update
DashboardClient[129] needs update

I thought that meant a Dashboard widget needed updating, so I checked my 3rd-party Dashboard widgets (which I only have two) for updates, and I have the latest version. I also checked Apple software update, and I am up to date. Anyone know what these messages mean? Sounds like it's telling me I need to update something, but I don't know what!

Anyone? :(

Sorry to bug you guys. I'm just getting into the "technical" side of computers and learning a lot about Terminal and the "guts" of the computer. It's really very interesting!

I've done a lot of research on my own, but I can't find an answer for those Console messages that I listed (see original post and the added message above this one).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Are you actually having problems with your Mac?

The only sure thing I can say is that those messages are not likely related to each other.
I don't find anything really relevant, searching for those messages - just some posts with generic problems, and not much in the direction of actual problems that those messages are reporting, if any.
I would suggest that you could reinstall your current combined OS X updater, which is a technique that has been used for years with good results for a variety of minor glitches that appear in OS X.

Back