Constant Catalog B-tree error in Norton Disk Doctor

cinolas

Registered
Hi,

I frequently boot on my OS 9 partition to do maintenance on my OS X partition.

I use the most recent version of Norton Utilities for OS 9.

Almost everytime I run Disk Doctor I get this Major Catalog Errors :

A major error was found in a file record in the Catalog B-tree.
Node 12797, record 7
"lisa.4274140" has an incorrect data logical length.
(10,7,36)
The problem was fixed.

A major error was found in a file record in the Catalog B-tree.
Node 12797, record 8
"nic.4274140" has an incorrect data logical length.
(10,7,36)
The problem was fixed.

Repairing this problem makes a big difference in the system's speed; I usually know the problem is back when I get the spinning beach ball and the processor power is 100% taken by a user process (I don't know which one because I never was able to open the process viewer since the computer is 100% taken...).

While this error is easily repaired by Norton, I would much preffer to prevent it so I don't have to repair my disk so often !

nic and lisa are the 2 most used users. There is third user used to give smb, ftp, etc... access to my friends without having to give them my password. I dont think I've ever had this problem with this third user.

Anyone knows or has an idea of what is causing this error ?
How can I prevent it ?

Thanks to all

I have had issues with running NU for OS9 on OSX. You "can" run it on OSX 10.1.x, but not on OSX 10.2. That is why there is an OSX version, which, unfortunately, is proving unreliable and dangerous.

Look at Disk Warrior. The new OSX version has proven to be safe and reliable.

norton utilities will consistently find the same problems over and over. and never fix them despite claiming to. i always get a chuckle out of the people who claim that norton is the best because it find errors no other utility does :p
while there still isn't an osx native version of diskwarrior, the lastest version does safely repair os x disks and system. an os x native version is on the way but it's anybody's guess when. they were displaying it at last year's mwsf and here we are almost a year later and no release. still, it's the best and worth spending the money to get the cd and get plus optimizer for defragging. you can find it at www.alsoft.com

ishaw

No need to uninstall, just don't use the program. You can just enter "norton" in your Sherlock in system 9 and it will get most of the files and extensions to list, then you can drag them to the trash. Norton requires an extension to run (Norton Lib, I believe.)

I have Disk Warrior and it does a great job. The only thing that worries me is that it doesn't put all your files in a neat order like Norton does (when you view it in the "Speed Disk" window.) I know, I am a creature of habit. But hey, I am slowly coming around to X myself...he he.

All I wanted for Christmas was a new b-tree. Instead I got a new pair of socks. Hmm can you spell socks with a x? Sox? Is sox the same as socks? Or do you give a PC user a bunch of sox? Like man did I sock him one for teasing my Mac. Oh yeah Noton's is bad. What kind of socks does Dr. Norton use and how does he spell it?

Switcher here... on diskwarrior... for OS X 10.23 does it work well? Norton system Works 2.0 is TRASH... I had to reinstall my OS X 2ice... I won't play with it anymore...

I prefer to use OS-X but that's because I am a "Switcher" I guess... but seriously...

if I go buy diskwarrior will it detect that I do not have OS-9 on my system and boot into OS X?

When I tried it with Norton... It looks for OS-9 and than gives me a black screen... I hate Norton... I want a realible product.

please tell me.
thanks.

diskwarrior comes on a boot disk that will only launch in os 9. at this point, it only runs in native os 9. they keep saying an os x native version is on the way, but who knows when.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
diskwarrior comes on a boot disk that will only launch in os 9. at this point, it only runs in native os 9. they keep saying an os x native version is on the way, but who knows when.

hehehe... better just pray my system doesn't take a hard Dump.

I use drive 10. My support staff uses Drive 10.1.x or Tech Tool pro 3. They both can repair Mac OS X.2 disks.

Drive 10 boot cd is OS X based.
Tech Tool Pro boot cd is classic based

I made my own OS X bootcd using "bootcd" and put my own disk tools on it.

hey appman, how about giving us a nice little review of drive 10 since the updates that added optimization? i haven't upgraded yet, but was quite happy with the previous version. i love fixing my external drives in the background while i do other stuff.

download the util to make boot cd's here

The rest is cake if you have a CDR.
I included drive10 and tb2 on my bootcd.
It takes a bit long to bootup but it works.

I haven't made one w/ 10.2.3 yet.

Back