Contacts and Mail won't sync between iPhone and Mac.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickerman, Sep 21, 2013.

1. wickerman

wickerman
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I just don't get Syncing. Ever since I got my first iPhone I've had problems getting my Contacts and Mail on my phone to match what appears in Mail and Contacts on my Mac. I thought iCloud would sort this out but all it does is create duplicate copies of all my contacts on my Mac, so I keep iCloud turned off.

Currently using iOS7 and OS10.8.5. I would be grateful if someone could talk me through setting my phone up to duplicate my Mac's info. Right now, when I try to Sync in iTunes it says "iTunes could not sync mail accounts to the iPhone because the mail accounts are in use by the phone". (It says this even when I disable the phone's mail accounts.) My Contacts don't match those on my Mac either. I'm at a complete loss as to how this is supposed to work. Can't understand why it's so difficult.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Rosie Moderator
    Staff Member Mod

I don't do a sync of contacts, calendar, or emails when I connect my iPhone to the computer because it duplicates every everything. iCloud will do the job on its own. Just make sure you have your iCloud log in information on your computer and your phone.

When I add a contact to my phone, it gets added to my computer address book. It is the same with my calendar. And because iCloud email is an IMAP account, there should be no need to sync emails.

I use iTunes to update and to back up to the computer only.

3. wickerman

wickerman
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

OK but how do you avoid duplicating your list of contacts on your Mac when you enable iCloud?

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Rosie Moderator
    Staff Member Mod

On your computer in System preferences>iCloud you should be signed in. Then select Contacts, Calendar, & Bookmarks. The others like Photo Stream and documents are at your preference.
    Now on your phone in System Preferences>iCloud select the same settings as on your computer.

When you connect phone to computer, make sure you are only doing updates for apps and system, and back up to computer only.
    There should be no duplicates.

5. DeltaMac

DeltaMac
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Tech

6. wickerman

wickerman
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Thanks. So when it asks should I merge contacts or bookmarks, do I say yay or nay?

7. Cheryl

Cheryl
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Rosie Moderator
    Staff Member Mod

Say Nay

When you are connected to iTunes, go to the Info section and uncheck sync for each item listed.

8. wickerman

wickerman
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

OK, thanks. :)

9. emma24xia

emma24xia
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I can use iCloud to sync Contact but failed on pictures and memories, Did I do something wrong about it?

10. Luana Bianca

Luana Bianca
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Disable and re-enable iCloud would work.
    If it failed, try follow the guide How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Mac

#10 Luana Bianca, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  11. Xkoiul

Xkoiul
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I failed to sync contact with iCloud, then I find anothe way to transfer contacts from iphone to mac.

#11 Xkoiul, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  12. Ffbooty

Ffbooty
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Sync iPhone contacts to iTunes or google account .

#12 Ffbooty, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  13. kimzupi

kimzupi
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

14. moyaren

moyaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

iTunes won't help you sync contacts, messages, notes from between iPhone and Mac, but you can sync music, videos, photos, I suggest you try Mobiledic phone transfer application to transfer messages from iphone on your Mac, it woks fine and back up all of your data from iphone to Mac.

#14 moyaren, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  15. Manksanse

Manksanse
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I agree with your idea . i usually move iPhone contacts to Mac for sync in this way ,which can support us to get back iphone data and manage phone data. You might need to restore the iPhone completely to resolve the glitch. Back up the iPhone via iTunes or iCloud. Plug the iPhone into the computer and launch iTunes. Select "iPhone," the "Summary" tab, and select "Restore iPhone."

source: https://www.tunesbro.com/transfer-data-between-android-and-iphone.html

This will remove all of your personal data and reinstall the iPhone's firmware. After this is complete, click on "Restore from Backup" to load your iTunes backup onto the iPhone. If your backup is stored on iCloud, then sign into your account on the device and tap "Restore from iCloud Backup."

#15 Manksanse, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017