Contextual Application Launcher?

evildan

Super Moderator
I've been looking for a contextual menu application launcher utility app.

The idea is that I like to keep my dock minimized and with only my main programs. But, especially on my laptop, there I find myself hunting down the location of some utility app. It's a real pain. I installed Rocket Launcher, which works well for this, but I am really interested in using something that is contextually based. It just seems easier to be able to right-click on my desktop launch iCal and be on my way.

Can anyone recommend one? I looked on versiontracker, but really didn't find anything that fit the bill.

Try Launch Items, it does what you're asking for. I'd give LaunchBar or LiveSearch a go if I were you though. I have LaunchBar and LaunchItems, but since I installed LaunchBar I don't think I've used LaunchItems a single time...

LaunchBar really rocks! You should try it. You will get addicted. When I step on a mac without launchBar, I am literally lost.

I know this seems a bit obvious, but I simply use a folder in my dock containing aliases of all of my common applications that I use -- the applications I DEFINITELY use everyday are in the dock themselves (Mail, Safari, etc.).

That way, a simple right-click or control-click on the folder reveals a menu with my applications... I know it ain't one-click, but it's fast and I like my systems to be pretty vanilla (not a ton of system-modifying haxies and what-not) and that improves stability.

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
LaunchBar really rocks! You should try it. You will get addicted. When I step on a mac without launchBar, I am literally lost.
I feel the same way. I can't imagine using a Mac without LaunchBar installed. It takes some people a little time to get used to, but it is the best system enhancement I have ever used. :cool:

-- Steve

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
I know this seems a bit obvious, but I simply use a folder in my dock containing aliases of all of my common applications that I use -- the applications I DEFINITELY use everyday are in the dock themselves (Mail, Safari, etc.).

This is what I've resorted to doing. I'm downloading Launch Items right now to try out. I really want it to be a right click thing since I'm always attempting it before I realize I don't have that functionality yet. I had something like this for os9 and I used it all the time. The dock on my TiBook is hidden since most of the time I use it for presentations. So, using the folder isn't that great of an option, because I need to expose the dock, find the folder, right click. It would be easier to just right click anywhere and launch my utility apps, like iCal.

The dock is cool, and I'll continue to use it, but it's a tad slow at exposing itself when I need something in a hurry and it always seems to pop out when I really don't need it. Kind of a pain for quickly launching apps with no fuss.

I'll post my opinion of Launch Items after I install it... which I am going to do now... :)

Launch Items Rocks!

This is exactly what I wanted. Simple to configure and easy to use!

The unregistered version only allows for five items in the contextual menu, but I plan on buying it in a week or so.

Thanks for your recommendations everyone!

Back