Continues crashes

jweijers

Registered
Help!

My brandnew Powermac dual 1.25 Ghz keeps crashing.

A grey box appears that tells me in several languages that I need to restart the system. There is no explanation why.

This seems to happen pretty much irrespective of what I do. downloading from the Internet, reading a CD into iTunes.

I have used the Hardware test CD which says all is okay.

I have done a clean install of 10.2.1 with all peripherals disconneted except the screen, keyboard and mouse.

Any ideas anyone?

Jan

what you are experiencing is called a kernal panic. first be sure you get updated to 10.2.3 as this may resolve some possible causes.

the message you see is a kernel panic. When do you first see this happen? Have you added RAM to your system? if so, did you try removing the additional RAM? Do you have a mouse that is different from original? Have you attempted to upgrade to newest version of 10.2 (recommended) Do you see the Kernel Panic when you first boot, or only when you start using programs? What else have you tried, (repairing permissions (this always should be done after any major installs on your system), or trying FSCK (easiest way to do this is to reboot holding the Shift key down until the window comes up with the words Safe Boot in the lower part of the window, FSCK runs automatically with at start of Safe boot) then restart your system so all startup software loads.) Let us know how it works then :)

Well, I tried all that. Then i tried removing the original 512MB RAM and running on the added RAM. I tried with and without peripherals (printer and scanner). Software update chrashes to and when I download and attempt to install the updates manually, the update installer crashes.

Then I booted from the Install CD to reinstall the system and even then the Kernel panics continued.

So tomorrow I am going back to the dealer to exchange the d*mn thing.

Jan

Originally posted by DeltaMac
the message you see is a kernel panic. When do you first see this happen? Have you added RAM to your system? if so, did you try removing the additional RAM? Do you have a mouse that is different from original? Have you attempted to upgrade to newest version of 10.2 (recommended) Do you see the Kernel Panic when you first boot, or only when you start using programs? What else have you tried, (repairing permissions (this always should be done after any major installs on your system), or trying FSCK (easiest way to do this is to reboot holding the Shift key down until the window comes up with the words Safe Boot in the lower part of the window, FSCK runs automatically with at start of Safe boot) then restart your system so all startup software loads.) Let us know how it works then :)

Did you try running with the original ram and taking out the added ram? It looks like that could be your problem. Some ram isn't very compatible with OSX, and kernal panics happen.

If it's the ram, you can always return it and get a different type. Much easier than sending the computer back. ;)

you know, i've begun to wonder if it's that the ram isn't compatible with os x or if it's that some ram isn't compatible with other ram - especially apple's. i used to get kernal panics when i had a stick of apple's and a stick of dealer installed. i switched both of those out for a pair of Fry's cheapest generic 256's and haven't had a problem with panics since.

I have tried running with just the original RAM, just the added RAM and both. None of that seemed to make much difference.

Sigh....

It sort of spoils the fun of buying a brand new top of the range Mac and then spending many frustrated hours trying to get it to run.

Jan

Originally posted by Darkshadow
Did you try running with the original ram and taking out the added ram? It looks like that could be your problem. Some ram isn't very compatible with OSX, and kernal panics happen.

If it's the ram, you can always return it and get a different type. Much easier than sending the computer back. ;)

I've had similar kernel panics recently with my brand new MDD G4 DP, and 10.2.3. It hadn't happened within the last two years.
I ran disk utility and repaired the disk permissions. It seems that the 10.2.3 upgrade messes up these permissions (a friend of mine experienced this also). Keep in mind that you might be running the repair disk permissions routine several times, until nothing has to be repaired anymore. I haven't experienced any new crash since then. Cross my fingers!

well, while trying to figure out some problems with my mail app. i ran a permissions verification and then repair because there were a ton of messed up ones. that could be a good idea to try this. you need to boot from your jag install disk and choose disk utility from the menu. i'd just skip straight to the repair permissions option if i were you.

I changed the machine and now everything is fine. According to the dealer, on of the processers wasn't working (properly). The new machine is like magic ;-)

Thank for all the suggestions though.

Jan

Originally posted by edX
well, while trying to figure out some problems with my mail app. i ran a permissions verification and then repair because there were a ton of messed up ones. that could be a good idea to try this. you need to boot from your jag install disk and choose disk utility from the menu. i'd just skip straight to the repair permissions option if i were you.

Heh, well that for all our troubleshooting techniques. None of us even mentioned a busted processor. Heh

well, personally i trust apple's quality so much that i wouldn't even consider it until i had ruled out everything else. :)

Back