Convert audio tapes to digital

mhnicholson

Registered
I have about 100 audio tapes that need to be converted to digital. They are lectures and lessons and they need to be put on a CD. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or should I just find a professional to do it?

if they're lectures and lessons and whatnot, you probably don't need stereo or anything fancy. You can get a cable from radio shack that will basically have a headphone jack on either end of it. Plug one end into your cassette player, and the other end into the microphone input on your mac. (looks kinda like >0< )

Then you can use some basic, free software to record the signal. Audacity is a very popular program for just this purpose. Just push play and start recording.

Have fun.

Some Macs do not have an audio/mic input. In that case, you will need another kind of interface. The iMic, from Griffin Technology, is a good, inexpensive unit that plugs into your USB port, and has both inputs and outputs. The good software, Audacity, already mentioned, can use this iMic as well.

I record many samples(wav) throught the mic input. Would the quality be better if I used the imic? Also can you get wavelab for OS X?

Back