Converting WMV to MPG (Quicktime)

Hyakuji

Registered
Basically, I'm trying to convert Movies that are idioctically in the '.wmv' file format, to any quicktime formats. So eventually I can add them to my ipod (with video).

I've tried 'iSquint' for mac because it fast and free ( and I'm looking for that.). However, converting 'wmv' files is not so easy, I then had to proceed in downloading 'Flip4mac Trial Version' so that iSquint could convert the file, finding out later on that the trial version ONLY play the first half of the video. Wow, what a rip off. So my long drawn out explaination concludes with this question:

Are their any free OSX programs that convert the latest '.wmv' file formats to '.mp4' or any quicktime format? Thanks for your time.

No, there are no freee .wmv to other format converters for the Mac. However, you can buy QuickTime Pro and the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec. These will handle non-DRMed WMP 9 or older content. Nothing on the Mac handles WMP 10.

Alright, I have Quicktime PRO, however, do I still have to purchase Flip4Mac to convert successfully or does Quicktime Pro do that without Flip4Mac?

Hyakuji said:
Alright, I have Quicktime PRO, however, do I still have to purchase Flip4Mac to convert successfully or does Quicktime Pro do that without Flip4Mac?
To be clear, you need the Flip4Mac codec and QuickTime Pro. Since you have QuickTime Pro already, you are halfway home. Once you have the Flip4Mac codec installed, you will be able to handle WMV files in most QuickTime-compatible applications.

I don't think you'd need QuickTime Pro specifically — just any application that can encode video with QuickTime. QuickTime Pro doesn't give you anything except an enhanced QuickTime Player. Something like QTAmateur or any number of other QT-enabled apps should do the job just the same.

That is, unless there's something hard-coded into Flip4Mac's codec that makes it reject other apps. But I doubt that.

I just wish I didn't have to spend another lump sum on a program I know very little about. But, it's exactly what I needed to hear, so thanks to all of you for the information. It's nice to finaly get real answers.

I used a free application called ffmepx to convert various video formats. It worked fairly well and it has it's own forum for troublshooting. It does support wmv.

ffmpegX is great, however it doesn't support WMV3 video. If you're dealing with older WMVs, it ought to work, but more recent ones probably won't.

Back