Corrupt Java installation fix for 10.3.9

oscarlantz

Registered
Installing 10.3.9 somehow broke my java installation. Anyone had the same problem? I suspect I might have had a java program running when installing the 10.3.9 update.

Anyway the good news is that after a bit of tinkering I managed to fix the problem by reinstalling java.

The steps:
1. Dowload the Java142Update2 installation image from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaupdate142.html.
2. Copy Java142Update2.pkg from the image file to be able to edit it.
3. Show package contents.
4. Open Contents/Resources/VolumeCheck with TextEdit.
5. Comment out the whole if statement under the comment "# If 1.4, do not update".
6. Install the package.

Wow! You are AWESOME!
Safari crashed everytime I loaded my own website. Thanks for your diligents!

::love::

oscarlantz said:
Installing 10.3.9 somehow broke my java installation. Anyone had the same problem? I suspect I might have had a java program running when installing the 10.3.9 update.

Anyway the good news is that after a bit of tinkering I managed to fix the problem by reinstalling java.

The steps:
1. Dowload the Java142Update2 installation image from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaupdate142.html.
2. Copy Java142Update2.pkg from the image file to be able to edit it.
3. Show package contents.
4. Open Contents/Resources/VolumeCheck with TextEdit.
5. Comment out the whole if statement under the comment "# If 1.4, do not update".
6. Install the package.

I hope I'm in the right forum! Can you please explain to me step by step how to perform steps 2,3,4,5, above. My HD keeps telling me there is nothing that needs updating so I want to try this workaround. Thank you

Simpler option: download and reinstall the last security update from
Code:
http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3rdpty1.pl/product=05426&platform=osx&method=sa/SecUpd2005-002Pan.dmg
No need to edit any files. Or, if you prefer, there was a utility released by a third party today that claims to fix the problem. You can find it at
Code:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26431

Thanks for that. I had just done that last night (downloaded the latest Security Update) and then run Norton Disk Doctor from the CD----I may even have repaired permissions with Disk Utility. Anyway things seem to be working well right now. Thanks again.

Do yourself a favor, get rid of Nortons. It can cause a lot of damage on an OS X system.

OK. Where do I find out about alternatives or is Disk Utility it? Then what about Firewalls and Antivirus? I'd love to be rid of Sy'tec
Thanks for the input.

Disk utility is good, a first start, booted off the OS CD to use it.

Then there's TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior

For viruses, Virex. You can search the forums for opinions for virus software. There are no viruses for OS X, but you can pass them on through email/attachments.

You have a built in Firewall. Look in the Sharing PreferencePane.

My research tells me that these two are part of Tiger installation.
They are problematic by complicating lookup for web links.
Causing repeated timeouts and refusing to connect. I wonder if anyone knows
about how the problem can be rectified? :confused:

Start Terminal and type (or copy/paste from here, 1 line at a time followed by carriage return):
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/ (return)
sudo ../Commands/java -Xdump (return)

The sudo might take a little while, but when you get back to the prompt you're done. This doesn't require the reboot that the update requires.

I have been under the impression that all the java updates cause problems with lookup on the net. When I updated to 10.4.3 the problem disappeared? I am just happy about it. I rarely have problems finding locations anymore.Leighla

Hi,
I tried to install the Java update as well as the wsidecar.apple.com update and both said they could not install on my hard drive. One said I have a Java Web Start that needs updating... please help! My browser crashes on all "heavy" sites. Although I've now discovered that if I manually stop loading the page in the middle, I can still view the page.. this has to be a java problem right? Thanks, Meghan

Back