Corrupted Mac OS X 10.4

ezru

Registered
Hi Guys,

I was working my mac using the terminals. I loged in as root using sudo root, and I changed the permission for /urs folder to 754. I should not have done this but I was intending to change /usr/local/svn. Now all the terminals wont open and after the os crashed I tried to log in but that is not happening either. I have tried to boot in safe mode, it is not helping. I was wondering if any one knows if it is possible to log in as root or system. because at the moment the only thing that seems to be possible way out is to try and repair the OS with the install disk, which I think is risky...

Many thanks,
Ezru

Try booting in single-user mode by holding down command-s during boot. Once in single user mode, you should be able to correct the permissions on the folder. After that, simply reboot and see if that helps.

Hey ElDiabo,

Thank you so much for the answer. I have loged in a single user unfortunately I am getting a message saying "chmod: /usr/: Read-only file system". Some thing it should have said before I changed it in the first place. Any way around this?

Thank you so much again.
Ezru

Try issuing the command:
Code:
mount -o update /
I believe that will update the mount of the hard drive to read/write instead of read-only.

If that is successful, you can try correcting the permissions again.

Or whatever other mount advice single user mode offers at start - the system needs to be mounted to be able to be changed.
Default for /usr seems to be drwxr-xr-x@ - make your math.

Thank you ElDiabolo and others... This has resolved my problem. I can now log in and every thing works.

Thanks again,
Ezru

Download a Linux distribution that is compatible with your Mac (either Intel or PowerPC), and install it.

Most Linux distributions are free -- is there something you need in a "paid" version of Linux that isn't included in the free versions?

At what exact point are you having trouble? Downloading the Linux distro? Burning it to a CD? Installing it?

Please be more specific.

Back