Costly mistake with monitor and MBP

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Our 2019 MBP is now a serving tray. The lithium battery is bulging, and since Applecare is done (and this model isn’t in the battery issue program) it will cost over $400 to fix. Here's what happened:

We used the laptop mostly as a hard drive plugged in all the time with a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I did not know this was an issue because I followed the “simple” instructions all over the web on hooking up an external monitor. Since we could not get the monitor to work with the MBP in battery mode, and only plugged in, then that’s how we used it most often ... but I just discovered the mistake was closing the laptop … so, for future, and to maybe help others, the missing asterisk is *when you hook up the monitor, don't close the laptop."

But, to be absolutely sure ...

CONFIRMATION: "Just leave the lid up" Right? And do something re: sleep? Or will that not be an issue?
If this is the case, I'm going to get it fixed for the $400 and not keep it plugged in all the time. Instead, use it like the laptop it's supposed to be. Costly mistake, but we're trying to handle the bulge and budget and I'd rather have a $1300 MBP with a new battery and keyboard, then just toss it .., Of course, apple won't guarantee anything and the local guys offer just a 90 day guarantee (and I already checked and though it would be repaired, AppleCare isn't available going forward.

Last edited:
I would just buy a battery, and replace myself. You're already not in warranty, and the replacement would give you something different to do for a few hours. You can find replacement batteries that should be useful from iFixit, for example, for around $100, maybe $125 or a bit more.
Anyway, much less than the $400 that you were quoted. Don't get the wrong idea, replacing a battery, especially on a fairly recent Mac laptop, is not a trivial task, but is doable, taking care. iFixit has good steps for the job, as well as offering tools and supplies to do the job.
Example (I don't know which 2019 MBPro you actually have) with 13-inch, 2 Thunderbolt port model: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...derbolt+Ports+2019+Battery+Replacement/133305

I would just buy a battery, and replace myself. You're already not in warranty, and the replacement would give you something different to do for a few hours. You can find replacement batteries that should be useful from iFixit, for example, for around $100, maybe $125 or a bit more.
Anyway, much less than the $400 that you were quoted. Don't get the wrong idea, replacing a battery, especially on a fairly recent Mac laptop, is not a trivial task, but is doable, taking care. iFixit has good steps for the job, as well as offering tools and supplies to do the job.
Example (I don't know which 2019 MBPro you actually have) with 13-inch, 2 Thunderbolt port model: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...derbolt+Ports+2019+Battery+Replacement/133305
Thanks, but still looking for the "just simply" confirmation. Leaving the laptop open and using the battery with the monitor, keyboard and mouse connected is the way to go, correct? I just watched an innerwebs YouTOOOBe and the guy did a great presentation. Then at the end he says, "and if you want to close the laptop, just plug the power in and your good to go." No... not without the asterisk or footnote: Only do this sparingly. You need to use the laptop as a laptop and let the battery drain. As far as I can tell. And I just dropped it off for a "real" quote... the other was "off the top of my head most probably perhaps" quote from the tech.

I did watch three vids before deciding I really didn't want to deal with it. I also just found out that the Brother Printer has planned obsolescence built in with something called an "ink absorber." Everything it does a cleaning this thing kicks on and after X times it has to be replaced. The part is $35 the aggravation. Priceless.

I also just found out that the Brother Printer has planned obsolescence built in with something called an "ink absorber." Everything it does a cleaning this thing kicks on and after X times it has to be replaced. The part is $35 the aggravation. Priceless.
That is why I will never buy another Epson printer. There is an absorbsion pad down low. It gets filled up and the printer dies. Part not even available--needs to be sent in for replacement!

Back