Crazy gray-screen 'firmware' boot

Snark

Registered
I was browsing the interweb when suddenly i had a kernel panic and i was forced to shut down my ibook. Then it wouldnt start up. It would start and then die. After 2 failed startups there was no response from pressing the power key at all. For 5 minutes i had a dead mac. Suddenly it starts up, but with a crazzay gray screen that says

"Cannot prune"
welcome to firmware something
Date is yada ya
build is yada ya

type mac-boot to continue or type shut-down to shut down.

ø>_

So i typed mac-boot and its working seemingly fine. But im worried what is this and what do i do now? :(

After 5mins your system started up again? Hmmmm, my first guess would be some temperature problem. Did you add any new hardware? Did you work on battery?

absolutely nothing... not abnormally hot... it just panicked on me then died for a couple minutes. I was working on battery which was full.

I would boot from the OS X Install CD and run a "Repair Disk" via the Disk Utility in the "Installer" menu. Kernel panics aren't good for data integrity, so it might be a good idea as a safeguard.

I'd also consider - if it happens once more - to get it checked and repaired. Could be a hardware issue of some sort...

Back