Creating a mirror raid

wnowak1

Registered
I am attempting to mirror my root drive, but I'm not able to drag the root disk to the list box in disk utility. I have a second hard drive which I would like to use to mirror.

I have a dual g5 with 10.4.7.

Primary disk:
152.7 GB Maxtor ( Mac OS Extended (Journaled) )

Second disk: 372.6 GB Seagate.
Partitioned as follows:
Slice 1: 152.54 GB Mac OS Extended (Journaled ) ( which is the same as the root disk )
Slice 2: 219.95 GB ( used for extra space )

Is it not possible to mirror the root disk? Or am I doing something wrong ?

My Steps:

Click on RAID tab in Disk Utility
Click the + sign to Add a RAID Set. I then name the RAID Set.
I choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled )
RAID Type: Mirrored Raid Set

Thanks.

Boy I don't think that's possible. Generally it's best to mirror two freshly formatted drives that are of the same model. You might consider getting a second Seagate that matches the one you have. You can erase both seagates and create the mirrored raid. Then perhaps sell the Maxtor before it craps out :)

There's only room for one more drive in the tower besides the boot disk... So I can have the OS disk and another one. ( unless there is another free slot )

I do have to identical seagate drives. If I were to reinstall the operating system, would I be able to mirror the drives during setup?

I am attempting to mirror my root drive, but I'm not able to drag the root disk to the list box in disk utility.

The reason for this is that a RAID set must be initialized and formatted before you can use it -- since you're booted from the internal hard drive, you cannot reformat it -- so Disk Utility will not let you add it to the RAID set.

If you boot from your OS X Install CD/DVD and wish to reformat your system drive to add it to a RAID, you can do it that way, but you will lose all information stored on both drives.

Back