Creating A Partition with OS X Already Installed...

Masamune

Registered
Hi!

I'm currently running Mac OSX 10.2 .8 and I want to install Ubunutu, I can't download an installation CD and replace OS X altogether (Don't want to either) the only way I can install it is by using a net install, non of the disks I have are large enough for a full copy.
Is there any way or software (preferable free) that will allow me to create a partition without deleting my data?

Thanks for any help!

Joe

BTW I want this to be dual boot, so I can still use OS X.

A Guru may correct me, but I am not sure how well the programs work on that earlier OS. Without knowing your machine details, I am not sure a Guru can comment on whether or not Ubuntu will work well on your Mac--or even a higher OS. They may; I just do not know.

That being blathered, external HD are relatively cheap these days, and backing up your data is a must, period, if you are going to try this. There are programs that will remove partitions. I have never tried to add one--other than TechTools which adds its own bootable emergency partition. Volume Works is one program that will remove a partition. I do not know how well it works adding a partition.

--J.D.

Any application that claims to do non-destructive partitioning, i.e. partitioning a disk without losing or corrupting the data already present, is suspect...IMHO.

Be sure to back up any unreplaceable data you do not want to lose "forever" first before using any such application, or you may be sorry!

Back