Creating Database Software on Mac OS 10.5

sobhark

Registered
Hello...
I would like to develop a database software which is based on MySQL.
How can I develop the interface of the database??
Are there any software like Filemaker Pro which allows me to develop a GUI for the database.

Thank you in advance

You'll have to be more specific on what exactly you'd like to do. C, C++, RealBasic, php, perl, Objective-C and many other programming languages can connect to mySQL databases and each have the ability to create either a text-based GUI or a more robust GUI.

What programming languages are you familiar with? Would you like to develop a desktop-based application, or a web-based application? What kind of application are you looking to develop -- something to execute arbitrary queries on a mySQL database, or some kind of application that displays data based upon user-input form a mySQL database? What steps have you already taken in developing an application with mySQL integration?

FileMaker Pro can integrate easily with a mySQL database. Information on this was found easily with a simple 3-second Google search:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/mysql.html?ovmkt=04D97B5467B9451E9C686F76B3C80C44

Oh.... I'm a completely new to this programming thing.
I would like to create a simple database.
I know how to use Filemaker Pro well, but the only problem is that it cost a lot of money to share then via a web browser.

So what I am seeking is a low cost method to share my database over the internet which can be access by any web browser.
Any suggestions?

PS I already have a Xserve with a fixed IP

Many Thanks

Hosting a simple mySQL database online isn't expensive at all... in fact, you can do it for as little as $5 a month. Serverlogistics.com offers hosting and mySQL databases from $10 a month, and GoDaddy.com has simple hosting packages that include a mySQL database for $5 (or less sometimes).

But, if you've got a fixed IP address and an XServe ready-to-go, then you're all set. You need to do the following things:

1) Modify the mySQL user permissions (for whatever mySQL user account you're using to access the databases) to allow connections from external IP addresses. mySQL, by default, only allows connections from localhost (or 127.0.0.1) -- i.e., the local machine.

2) Open/forward port 3306 (unless you've modified the default mySQL port) in your firewall/router.

That's it -- people on the internet can now access your mySQL server from outside of your local network using your fixed IP address. Both of these steps are fairly easy, and step-by-step instructions can be found easily with Google searches.

After those, it's simply a matter of how people access the database. If you'd like a "web browser" to access the database, then you'll probably end up needing to host some php pages on your website (which should ideally be running on the same server as the mySQL server). If via FileMaker Pro, then it would be a matter of your "clients" (the people wanting to access the server) configuring their FileMaker Pro programs to connect to your database.

"Share my database over the internet" is an extremely vague description of what you'd like to do -- there are, literally, thousands of ways to share a database over the internet, and a thousand more ways to access the data in the database. If you could explain, in GREAT detail, what, exactly, you'd like to accomplish, then we can then dig further into this. But, as you've left it, if I may use a metaphor, you've basically brought your car into a repair shop and said, "My car is acting up in a vague and ambiguous way. What, exactly, is wrong with it, and what are the exact steps to take to fix it?" Any mechanic would say, "Buddy, you haven't given us nearly enough information to even get started."

Back