CRT display problems... any help please.

J1983M

Registered
hi guys.
i recently bought a used mac and was given a free apple display with it... its the G3 blue and white CRT one. i am not sure what is wrong with it. i was told it only comes on sometimes, sometimes it does/sometimes it wont. i have given it a go but the light on the button comes on but the screen wont. does any one know what might be wrong with it and any easy ways of solving this?
i have checked out taking it into a apple store but the prices but me off!!!!!

any help please?

Orange means the CRT hasn't synched with the video output of the machine. Green is what it would be normally. Have you tried checking the screen on another system ?

i havnt no. im trying to get a lead to connect my ibook to it. the guy i got the system from said it would work on the system sometimes ... does that sound normal for the problem?

Difficult to say, but if the Display came with the system it may be the system that is the problem, only way to confirm it is to connect the screen to another system and another screen to the system and see which setup works. Studio displays should auto detect the correct settings from the system and display accordingly, so a fault with either can cause the same symptoms.

Not a lot of help if you don't have another system or screen though, sorry.

How old is you i-Book ? I thought all new Macs came with a DVI to VGA converter which is all you should need.

its the first of the white series.. got it about 3 years ago. g3 500mhz. i think i did get one but i no longer have the box and didnt have an extra monitor to use with it so i guess its still in there! oh well. thanks for the help tho!

Call Apple. Cite this knowledge base article:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88195

They should send you a box to ship the monitor to them in, free of charge, and either send you back a repaired or replacement monitor (the same type, of course).

If your monitor pops, dims, or the screen seems to "zoom in" then this is most likely due to a bad part inside the monitor (electrical arcs that shouldn't be happening). Even if the monitor is out of warranty and exhibits these symptoms, Apple should still replace it for free. I've gotten two of these replaced/repaired for free, one as recently as early 2004.

the button flashes orange and then green.... and so on? ive now tried it on my ibook and its just the sane...any help?

Back