CS2 on Snow Leopard

videoflyer

Registered
I'm currently running Adobe's CS2 suite on my Snow Leopard Macbook Pro and it...mostly...runs alright. I'd love to upgrade, of course, but my current income situation and reliance on savings make that a fiscally uncomfortable option at the moment. So I have a couple questions.

[My specs: Macbook Pro purchased new in November 2009 so it's pretty recent - 2.66GHz Intel Core2 Duo; 4GB RAM; Dual graphics cards - GeForce 9400M and 9400M GT.]

My two questions:

1. Do we think that the random crashes I experience from time to time are because I'm running CS2 on an Intel Macbook Pro in Snow Leopard? I do get occasional Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign crashes that can happen during even the most mundane, low-overhead tasks on small files. There doesn't seem to be a pattern but then again I know that even well-coded software ain't perfect.

2. Would upgrading to CS4 or CS5 provide a speed boost on Intel? Like I said, the apps mainly run alright. Typically, though, they can be a bit slow...which I wasn't expecting having come from a G5 tower. I just assumed that they'd run in more sprightly fashion on a newer computer. Sometimes, they're VERY slow. Typically, for instance, just bringing focus back to Photoshop or Illustrator can take upwards of 10 seconds.

I'm just trying to figure out what the benefits of upgrading would be so that I can determine whether or not the financial hit is worth it in my current situation. Because given that I'm presently not employed full-time, it'd be a pretty BIG hit. :-(

Neal

Here's a document that Adobe posted in fall of 2007 that explains the situation.
http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf
Simply, older versions of Adobe software (prior to CS3) are
Likely to encounter issues for which there is no resolution
Yes, upgrading to CS4 or CS5 will result in better performance (and reliable software). Your present version (even if it was more stable) uses rosetta (built-in code translation) to run on your Intel processor.

Back