Custom OS X Install on iBook G4

One Sick Puppy

Registered
I got my iBook G4 a couple days ago (yeah, uber-noober, I know) and no sooner did I get it did I want to reformat and reinstall the OS. hehe. Basically, I'm a minimalist and only one the stuff I use on the comp. I manage get rid of alot of stuff I didn't use with the reinstall using the recovery disks that came with the comp, but during the install I didn't see the option to customize the installation. I think I heard that this might not be available with the version of OS X that is bundled with the iBook G4's. If this is so, is there any way I can do a post-install removal of applications and system components?

BTW, if it wasn't obvious, I'm 3 days new to macs so I'm used to Windows' "Add/Remove programs" and XPLite for customizing my Windows XP installations, and hopefully there is something like this for OSX?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum ! Check the OS cd that came with the book. Does it say OS 10.3 upgrade or install?
The custom install should show up in the screen where you select the hard drive to install to. That is after the language, accepting the license.

Nope, no "Add/Remove Programs" for OS X. You don't want an application anymore? Go into the Applications folder, find the application (or application folder) and drag it to the trash. Gone. Any preference files should take minimal space and can safely be ignored.

Don't use the "Software Restore" disks that came with your computer -- there should be some labeled "Software install" or something like that, if I'm not mistaken. The screen after you select a hard drive, there should be a "Customize" button somewhere at the bottom of the window. Click that, and you can customize your install. I highly recommend leaving the BSD Subsystem option checked. You'll run into problems later if you don't install that, guaranteed (FYI, the BSD subsystem is a vast set of UNIX utilities).

I found the install options. It was in the screen after the HDD selection. Thanks for the tip - I've now managed to save a lot of disk space... and I installed the BSD subsystem. :)

Also, search the MacOSX.com or the Internet for instructions on how to get rid of languages other than English, assuming that's all you'll be using. That should save you some room. If you don't play chess, you can get rid of that too.

Beyond that, I'd suggest playing around with the machine for at least a few weeks before deleting more.

Doug

Back