custom os x restore cd

appletech85

Registered
Hello all,
I am presented with a decent problem. I have a 4GB 10.3 Image that I use to restore my Macs, Until now I never had to install this image on a Non-Firewire iMac. Now I am supposed to install thi image on 80 some odd iMacs w/o Firewire. I need a way to take my 4gb image and Turn it into somethibng that can be restored from cd's. So Basiclly I need to make Custom OS X resore cd's. Any Suggestions???????????

I remember this problem.

Easiest solution get a new Mac ;)

If this is one of the super old iMacs there is an upgrade card for them that will give them FireWire. That's is what I did to keep around a few 233Mhz green iMacs for some secretaries. I think the card also upgrade the processer to 400Mhz and it was pretty cheap.

The easiest way to update the Mac that you do have though is to open it up, take out the hard drive put it in a firewire enclosure and restore your image onto that.

Don't waste you're time with BootCD. Its way to slow and opening the mac to get the hard drive out is way faster.

One solution would be a Network install startup sequence using a Netboot install image, which would allow you to perform fresh installations of OS X on your iMacs.

You would need a mac with OS X Server
on it to use this method..

They would have to be slot-loading G3 iMacs or G4 iMacs with firmware version 4.1.7 or later, a minimum of 128MB RAM,
and 100BASE-T Ethernet or faster connections.

Netboot deployments of 10 - 50 clients require a
100BASE-T switched network and more than 50
clients would require Gigabit Ethernet.

*The use of Airport wireless with Netboot is not supported
by Apple

Back