Cyberduck Configuration

HalBurt

Registered
I am currently using a PowerMac G5, Mac OS X, v10.4.11, Cyberduck 3.0.2, and I have a question on how to configure Cyberduck to upload to AOL's FTP space. Here's what I have tried:

Protocol: FTP & SFTP
Username: my AOL screen name
Password: my AOL password
Port: AOL automatically inserts Port 21 for FTP and Port 22 for SFTP

Why am I unable to upload to my AOL FTP space using Cyberduck? I am able to upload individual files using AOL Keyword: My FTP Space.

Does Cyberduck connect, but you can't upload files, or does it fail to connect at all?

First thing's first, let's make absolute sure you're using the right settings. You can connect via FTP or SFTP, and you should be connecting to "members.aol.com". Here's a simple tutorial to verify the basics:

http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/ftp/

I'm sorry I didn't explain my problem better, but I cannot connect. That is my problem. Also, I realize after I posted that I neglected to include that I have members.aol.com listed as the Server.

It appears that I have mine configured as suggested in your link.

Are you allowing port 22 and 23 in both of those firewalls? Try turning off both firewalls and then try to connect... if it works, then we've narrowed down the problem to something with the firewall(s).

I have tried disabling both the Mac OS X and the Belkin router's firewalls, but to no avail. I'm still unable to connect.

That's strange... are you familiar with the Terminal? If so, we can try the good old-fashioned command-line ftp and see if that works.

Try this in the terminal:
Code:
ftp username@members.aol.com

...and then enter your password when connected (replace 'username' with your AOL username). If that connects, then it may be something with Cyberduck.

Another thing you can try is changing the connection mode from "active" to "passive" or vice-versa. Edit your saved connection in Cyberduck, and under "Connect mode:" select "passive" or "active" (try both).

No, I am not familiar enough to try the Terminal. When you suggest changing the connection mode from "active" to "passive" or vice versa, what do you mean and how do I edit my saved connection in Cyberduck? I don't see anything pertaining to those modes in Cyberduck preferences.

If you mean System Preferences / Network / Proxies, I have tried checking and unchecking the box "Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV). I have always had the box checked previously.

In your saved connections list in Cyberduck, highlight the connection you want to edit and click the little "pencil" icon below the listings. Then, under "More options," you should see "Connection mode."

I have tried using both hometown.aol.com and members.aol.com as the Server, both FTP and SFTP as the Prtocol, disabled both OS X's Firewall & my router's firewall, and toggled between passive and active mode and I still can't connect. I get 2 error messages: 1) 331 - Password required for username (I've entered the correct PW because it works when I sign onto AOL's client) and 2) 530 - User username access denied.

I'm about ready to give up and go back to the old-fashioned way of uploading via AOL's client, which only allows one to upload one file at a time but I am able to do it. :-(

I can also use aol.com which limits one to uploading 4 files at a time. The biggest headache with that is that one has to delete the old file first (one at a time) if the updated file has the same name.

Thanks for all of your trouble and suggestions.

Back