Damaged archive problem

Decado

Kallikanzaroi
Hoi pipeloi!
I have a little problem:
I was backing-up my iphoto-folder with the built-in archive-command (and burned the archive to a cd).
Then i formated the hard-drive and did a clean install of panther. And now when i try to unzip the archive it says: "can not unpack etc... operation not permitted" translated from swedish. i dont know the exact wording in english.

all the other things i archived opened just fine, so there must be a particular problem with this one.

So i was thinking: is there a way to reach the photos inside the archive without unpacking it? (like you sometimes could with ResEdit?)

Or is there a way to fix this?

/jonathan

Hmm, are you trying to unpack it directly on the CD or are you trying to unpack a copy on your hard drive?

Ah, that's ungood. My guess is that the archive is too large for Apple's BOMArchiveHelper program to handle.

Although the archive is named with a .zip extension, I understand that it's not really a normal ZIP archive. For example, you definitely can't use "gunzip" to extract it. However you might be able to use "/usr/bin/unzip." I just made a quick examination of one of these archives and it appears to be a PKZIP archive of the type the unzip command likes.

Try the following test:

- Copy the archive into your home folder.
- Start the Terminal application.
- Type /usr/bin/unzip -t myarchive.zip to test the archive for problems.
- Type /usr/bin/unzip -l myarchive.zip to list the contents. (Yep, that's a letter L after the dash)

If the contents appear to be okay then create a new folder, move the archive there, and then use /usr/bin/unzip myarchive.zip to extract it.

I hope it works for you! If this fails - and even if it doesn't - you should contact Apple tech support. If necessary, ask them to recover the contents of the archive for you. On the one hand, Apple is liable for the bug which allows such large archives to be created and then not extracted. On the other hand, Apple's engineers would probably enjoy the opportunity to examine a problematic archive and recover it.

Thanks for the help!
didnt work though.
The file is not that large. just 89 mb.
when doing your test it said:

"End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive."

but i'm sure this is the only file.

What "build-in archive command" did you use exactly? I've looked all over iPhoto and cannot find the feature you mention.

Are you meaning that you used a command-line archive command to compress the iPhoto folder?

Dacado was referring to the Finder's new built-in archiving command, which you can find by control-clicking an item in the Finder.

Yes, i was control-clicking. Since i had a lot of photos i archived everything month by month. and it is the archive with my september-photos that wont open.

Have you tried opening the archive from the CD? It should open just fine, allowing you to drag files from it, expanding them as you do.

Back