10 GB Drive
Radeon Rage with 8 MB video memory

NEW TiBook
$2,199.00
550MHz PowerPC G4 @ 100MHz
256MB SDRAM memory* (special promo)
20GB Ultra ATA drive
ATI Mobility Radeon w/16MB DDR video memory

... SO... for $400 less, and only a few months later, I could get 150 more megahertz (and that's a LOT when we're talkin' Apple, especially on a laptop), DOUBLE the memory for free, and a bigger hard drive (and trust me, 10 GB SUCKS.. it's JUST small enough to be TOO small... 20 GB is perfect for me)... and a better video card with double the video memory!!!!!

I know computers get better as the months go by, but this is ridiculous. Apple should have a buy back program..... then I could give my TiBook to Apple like, "used computer department" (which would probably be very successful), and then maybe pay $500 $600 to get the new G4. God damn it. I don't want to deal with eBay, either! Sigh.. I might sell my TiBook now, to get the new one. It's way better.....

(Too bad it will still play back flash movies like shit though... LOL)

-solrac-

Where then do all the refabs come from?
I find it hard to believe that they are only warantee spit-backs. Maybe macMall or the like will help you. Or didya buy it from the apple store? (eek)

oh, I forgot...

I'd be pissed off as all hell myself...
I've been there. I've got a beautiful beige G3 in VT... not a B&W... *sigh*

Its technology,
what can u do ? A month after I bought my G3 computer G4s came out...oh well... we'll catch em at the next upgrade :)

Originally posted by solrac
for $400 less, and only a few months later, I could get 150 more megahertz (and that's a LOT when we're talkin' Apple, especially on a laptop), DOUBLE the memory for free, and a bigger hard drive (and trust me, 10 GB SUCKS.. it's JUST small enough to be TOO small... 20 GB is perfect for me)... and a better video card with double the video memory!!!!!
That's part of the buying experience when it comes to computer ! I bought my iBook on the 3rd of July, finally received it the 23rd of August (yep, no typos...) and 2 months later, it is already outdated (now at 600 MHz with a bigger hard drive, a faster bus and a new compact transformer...) ! I could have waited 4 months and have all this ! :( Then again, I've had my iBook 2 months earlier than all the folks who will buy the new new iBook ! :rolleyes: So I guess it's not so bad after all ! ;)

Seriously, this simply shows that you shouldn't buy a computer to have the latest and greatest (although it is fun) but to suit your needs. Do you believe that your Powerbook has been useful and allowed you to work more efficiently ? If you answer yes, you can now say that you've spent wisely. You can also stop feeling bad about a product that has a quick path to obsolescence anyway. Like they say : don't worry, be happy !

I just keep telling myself that the longer I wait to get a better computer the more amazing it will be.

By the time I decide to buy my next computer this is what it will have:

4x G6 5Ghz
512Mb GeForce 5 Graphics
40' Anamorphic Widescreen LCD Display
1TB solid-state "disk"
10 GB DDDDRRRRR-RAM running at 3 Ghz
DVD-RW capable of buring 75-layer DVD's, for an overall storage value of 195 GB
Mac OS X 10.4, featuring "full imerssion" a 360 degree, headset compatable, GUI
Built in 1Gbps Airport with a range of 5 miles
Bluetooth control of all peripherals and household appliances

Newest Feature:"Death Ray" sends a ping of death to all x86 computers, to be used only at the users choice

wow, I can't wait :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Newest Feature:"Death Ray" sends a ping of death to all x86 computers, to be used only at the users choice
That one already exists : its called Windows XP ! (It's guaranteed to kill every old x86 you install it on...) :D

Where can I buy one of those macs ? :D
Programming (GUI dev that is) will be hard but I look forward to be spinning tunes on my virtual turn tables ;) he he he ;)

Admiral

Hmm, what an interesting concept!

That would actually be kind of cool when you think about it, but when taken out of context and people see you turning around in your swivel chair grabbing at things that don't exist, people will think you're crazy. ;)

Instead of a dock that resides at the bottom of the screen, we'd have a hemispherical dock under us, and then the menu bar would wrap around the screen... you could turn 1° or 359° to get to a certain file (teehee)... hmm, what else?

Oh, wait, we already have a 3D GUI... it's called TRW (the real world). :p

lol... if I had a 3D dock I would put it at my feet, that way I could kick the icons and they would jump up like they do now... but in a 3D environment they would look like they were in pain he he he

A 3D environment allows total ability to customize your environemt, like your desktop ...

The only problem is "grabbing"... like accidentally grabbing a female coworkers chest while tryn to open up your terminal :p he he he... being sued for sexual harassment after that:eek:

If such a 3D GUI ever materialized the visors used should be have a transparency setting to prevent such "accidents" he he he ;)

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
The only problem is "grabbing"... like accidentally grabbing a female coworkers chest while tryn to open up your terminal :p he he he...
Then again, you could turn the situation upside down : you could put a hand on the said co-worker and pretend, after that, that is was a terrible mistake and all you wanted was to launch PhotoShop ! "I'm so sorry, Dorothy, you just hapened to walk by as I had just decided to continue working on my Mona Lisa rendering... I.... I swear I mistook you for the icon of the file..." :D

Originally posted by Pascal
"I'm so sorry, Dorothy, you just hapened to walk by as I had just decided to continue working on my Mona Lisa rendering... I.... I swear I mistook you for the icon of the file..." :D

Depends on the person, but some might be offended to think they look like the Mona Lisa. ;)

Oh, and none of this "I have a damn cool TiBook, but I want and have to have the latest and greatest!" stuff is going on in nerd-hell?

Sorry to break it to ya, solrac, but I think anyone who posts regularly on www.macosx.com is a nerd. ;)

I'll give you that
so let me rephrase myself...

damn.
This conversation went to super-ultimo-hyper nerd-inferno 7th level of Hell

:D

Hmmm yes kicking someone in the crotch cause you wanna lauch unreal would be a pain...especially if the other guy is vengeful :p ...

as for the mona lisa ;)... be careful :p

I bought a TiBook 500 myself in April. And I must say that I've been *very* happy that Apple did not upgrade the thing for so long. And even now I have almost got the lower-end model (which basically is just overclocked a bit compared to mine).

Of *course* I'd want the 667 model with 48G harddisk and the faster bus, but then again it's not worth it to sell my TiBook just yet and buy the new one. Mainly because my TiBook doesn't suddenly suck, just because there's a better one now. :) Eye of the beholder kinda thing, I believe.

I'll wait. I'll get a new TiBook when it has *more* than 800 MHz, I'll get it when it *has* a combo drive (or better even a SuperDrive), I'll get it when it is able to hog 2G of RAM. The advances in the new line now aren't that big if you consider it.

I understand that people who just now bought their TiBooks are pissed. But you'll get over it, believe me.

If you buy a computer, write the money off instantly and enjoy your machine if you can.

The TiBook has never let me down so far, it's still the coolest notebook around (the new one looks and acts the same) and it still makes people envy me. If somebody asks, whether it's the new 667 model, why not just say yes and feel good about it? ;)

Originally posted by fryke
If you buy a computer, write the money off instantly and enjoy your machine if you can.
That's the recipe to find happiness in a materialist world...
If somebody asks, whether it's the new 667 model, why not just say yes and feel good about it? ;)
That has to be the best stance you can take ! If you are going to have a such a (small) misfortune, why not make fun of it ? *

Back