Dashboard Problems

djohnson

Registered
Has anyone found a way to remove dashboard widgets? My problem is I have 3 clocks and 2 temperature panels. I really don't need but one of each and I have no idea how they came up nor how to get rid of all but 1.

Either hold down option while moving the mouse over a widget, or hit the X button near the bottom right of the screen while the widgets are up. Either way will show an X on the widget in the top right and you can click that to close the widget.

Open Dashboard. You'll see a "+" on the lower left on your screen. Click this. A bar on the lower end of your screen comes up, and the "+" changes into an "x". Now you also see "x" buttons on the upper left of each widget. Click this x on the widget, and it'll go.

Hope this helps...

bobw said:
To remove permantely, they are here;

Library>Widgets
Also be careful, the widgets are installed per user, so if you want a reall cleanup, use admin privs and do serious deleting.

Widgets can live in both places: /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets

If you install a widget by double clicking on it, it will go into ~/Library/Widgets. At least mine do...

Mine went into Library>Widgets

There is no Widget folder in my ~/Library

Clean install of 10.4.

I use Panther, but I just read a page that demonstrates that widgets can be autoinstalled through Safari, regardless of the user's feelings on the matter. WARNING: This page apparently (remember, I don't have Tiger) demonstrates the principle by autoinstalling a harmless widget, but it provides a link to demonstrate a more annoying widget. It can only be removed, as BobW and elander point out, by deleting it from the library folders for widgets and then rebooting. The link is below. You must delete the 'REMOVE.ME' to see the page.

http://stephan.com/widgets/zaptastic/REMOVE.ME

I'd be super pissed if this is as he says it is.

In Safari, just uncheck Open Safe files after downloading in the preferences and this can't happen.

You can also enable Folder Actions to give you an alert anytime anything is install to a folder that you've configured for this.

Good thing to do for Startup items and preferences.

bobw said:
Mine went into Library>Widgets

There is no Widget folder in my ~/Library

Clean install of 10.4.

Same here Bob. So I just created the folder in the User Library, and moved all the download widgets to it. Dashboard did not even notice. All the widgets just worked. I am not sure why it was done like this.

I have two folders for widgets as well. I wonder if it changes the folder depending on how you install the widgets, though it works fine.

Blessed things pop up in both folders - seemingly dependent on install... down to the developers I guess. Good heads up though - thanks.

I just saw on MacFixIt.com and article on Widget security due to the security problem with Widgets. I will list the temporary fix (until Apple fixes it).

You can also monitor any additions to this folder (introduction of new Widgets) through the use of Mac OS X's built-in Folder Actions via the following process:

1. Control-click (accessing the contextual menu) anywhere in a Mac OS X Finder window or on any folder and select "Enable Folder Actions."

2. Navigate to the ~/Library folder and select the "Widgets" folder.

3. Control-click on the "Widgets" folder and select "Attach a folder action."

4. Select the script "add - new item alert.scpt" (located in the folder /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ which should appear immediately by default) and press the "Choose..." button.

Back