ddr 400 ram

decypher9

Registered
so i installed a 512mb transcend pc3200 ddr400 ram into my computer.. it didn't recognize so i tried putting the two 256mbs together then the 512 on its on instead of attaching it to either or on the 2 bars in my dual 2 G5....

now it wont beep adn the white light flashes 2 times.
how can i get it to boot? doesen't even start up, and i removed and placed the original ram exactly back to normal.

The G5 machine's RAM must be upgraded in pairs, so two 256's is ok, while one 512 by itself is not. Apple doesn't make that extremely clear, as shown here on the PowerMac G5 tech specs page (all the way at the bottom under "Memory" where it says "in pairs"):
http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

If it still fails to boot even with matched RAM sticks in the proper slots, you may need to reset the logic board, or perhaps zapping the PRAM and resetting the NVRAM would do it if it boots that far.

alright so that didn't work still same thing, computer doesen't even start, just 2 flashes... manuel says its cuz "Ram isn't installed" but the ram is back where it started, same stuff, still nothing, doesn't even begin to boot, meaning nothing is getting loaded into RAM hmmmm...

The G5 has a PMU button on the Logic Board. It's next to the Power Supply connector.
Disconnect the power cord. Press the PMU button just once. Wait 10 seconds, close it up and connect the power cord and try starting.

Well, that depends on whether the G5 is an early G5 or a later, post-late-2004 G5. Earlier ones have it, later ones don't.

14. Press CUDA/PMU switch (or reset the SMU)

***Similar to the PMU for laptops, desktops Macs have a microcontroller that handles many I/O functions (With G5s it is called the PMU). Again, if this becomes corrupt, strange happenings can occur. To reset the CUDA/PMU switch, you will have to open your Mac, and look around on the motherboard for a white button (many times it is near the RAM slots). Press this button once (only once) to reset the CUDA/PMU. NOTE: Late 2004 and later G5's no longer have a PMU, but rather have a SMU. To reset that, shut down the computer, pull the plug from the wall outlet, wait 15 seconds, plug it back in, and restart.
from http://homepage.mac.com/giantmike/troublexpanther.html

jesus christ, ok i opened it, unplugged, found the PMU reset by my ram slots, pressed ONCE, waited 30 seconds, put plug back in, started
still blinking twice ...

tried again, pressing harder on the button... NOTHING...

ok so i tried switching the ram slots the 2 256's... i rotated them, they are still in the factory install posistion, i just switched them to see if maybe they got mixed up in the whole fiasco, reset PMU again, replugged in, started and now it only blinks once ever so often... so whatever that means

One blink of the power light - repeats every few seconds, probably - this indicates that NO ram is detected
two blinks that repeat, indicate incompatible memory has been installed.

reseat the original ram in the paired slots. If you're not 100% sure which slots - one pair goes in the first pair of slots
explanation: a dual 2GHz would have 2 sets of 4 slots - the matching pair (with no other memory installed) will go in the slots in each set closest to each other. Counting up from the bottom, your memory should be in slots 4 and 5. If you have a G5 with only 2 pairs of slots, then your memory will go in slots 2 and 3. You may be fine here, this is just a double-check.

If nothing else works - try holding the power button while booting. Don''t let go until you hear the long tone start then stop. (that tone lasts about 2-3 seconds)

Back